1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D300 Shutter Count

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by bigone, Feb 26, 2019.

1. bigone

bigone New Member

Cant get shutter count on my nikon d300 i have used camera shutter count and my shutter count any ideas?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, not all cameras provide that information unless you get an OEM service. But why worry about it? Shutters are fairly reliable and fixable and unless you do a lot of sport on maximum burst rate the general condition of the camera matters more.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's easy to get a shutter count. One. It has one shutter...

Sorry, coat got... but Pete is right. Shutter "lives" are given as mean time to failure, they're not guarantees, so there's not really any value in knowing the count - if half the shutters fail at 1 shot, and the other half fail at 299,999, then the mean time to failure is 150,000, but that figure wouldn't help you much without understanding the distribution of failures.
    I guess you want to know to sell the camera, and unfortunately then it matters, purely because most people don't actually understand that it doesn't really matter.

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you really want to know, and you run Windows, you might try Opanda Exif viewer http://opanda.com/en/iexif/

Seems it is only older versions of Windows but I know it does do what you want.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nick, sometimes the cosmetic condition of a camera will mask a well used example, if you are buying you might get a well used camera for a lower price. Shutter cycle count is no guarantee that the shutter will/won't fail tomorrow but to some it makes a difference.

7. bigone

bigone New Member

Thanks for all your replies

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

ExifTool by Phil Harvey certainly works on windows 7. A compiled version is available so that you do not need to get involved with Perl.
    It does not need installing. You just download and expand the compressed file. I have a link to the program on my desktop and this runs the program with the -k option. One just drops an image file onto the link. All the exif data are then shown in a command window.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Mac users already have a means of viewing shutter count, open the .NEF* in Preview and then select Tools, Inspector and the data is available via the i tab.

* I don't shoot JPGs so I don't know what data is available in a camera JPG file.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I understand that Mac users also have an installation of Perl with standard libraries already installed. You can run the exiftool source program in the Perl interpreter without relying on a compiled version. This allows the user to check for anything that might be dodgy. Having said that I am perfectly happy that a compiled exiftool from the official website is free of malware and I use it myself.