1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D3 Live View on iPad Pro or Macbook

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Katy P, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Katy P

Katy P New Member

Hi All,

New to this forum, so apologies if this has been asked before.

I wonder if there are any wireless pieces of kit that will provide a live view on my iPad Pad Pro or MacBook from my D3?

I'm not particularly after camera control from either, simply the picture straight out of the camera for viewing purposes during shoots.

Thanks in advance!
    Katy

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

With the appropriate accessory a WT4a wireless transmitter I think it is possible for images to be transferred to your iPad or MacBook as soon as they have been taken. I know this is possible with a D2X and the WT2 transmitter. Unfortunately the WT4a costs a mere $1,000 or £800 if you can find one. They don't get good reviews either, the WT2 is very difficult to set-up but can be connected with later Macs, it is a pain though*! The WT4a is also likely to be outdated in this respect but as it represents very poor value for money I have never even considered buying one.

I don't know whether you can achieve a live view image on an iPad or MacBook but you would need Nikon software too, Camera Control 2 for the Mac or Wireless Mobile Utility for the iPad, the latter is free.

*Basically it is fiddly and not at all user friendly but I have managed to get my WT2 connected to my 2011 MacBook Pro though I didn't finish the set-up.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Here is a quick video of a Transcend wifi card being used.

I owned a WT4a for about an hour years ago, for my D700.
    It looks ok, but is only a small circuit board, the same as in all the modern versions, but the reason it went back is it looks like it was built in one of China's most incompetent factories.
    Nearly a grand for a piece of plastic garbage that wouldn't look out of place in a pound shop? Nikon were really taking the pi$$ when they released this one.

Look around for SD wifi cards - Eye-Fi, Transcend, and there is another one or two around I think.
    Not sure if they can be used for live view (image transfer is ok) but they probably can.

Here is a review and comparison of a couple of them:
    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/battle-of-the-wi-fi-cards-eye-fi-vs-transcend

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the D3 uses CF cards, whether an SD card can be fitted in a CF adaptor for a D3 I don't know.

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yes, the D3 is CF, the same as the D700 used in the video (the D700 is the baby of the D3), so I would imagine they are the same. The video shows an SD card in a CF adaptor