1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D200 imminent?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by snapperlondon, Oct 3, 2005.

1. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

To be fair Nick, the comparison referred only to their respective abilities to correct lens distortions. PTLens can be used free standing I believe but appears to be best used as a PS plug-in.

Also to be fair, I spent quite a lot of money to buy Dx0, only to find that it was so slow when batch processing files that I now hardly ever use it. I know that they are due to produce an upgrade late this month (to include the EOS 5D) and I will look at it again at that point, but for now I am dealing with batch processing using "actions" within CS2.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It is quite processor-intensive, and I don't use it for all my conversions as a result. But I want to see what it can do with the 5D - I think the two together will be an unbeatable combination, one that will force me to part with more money.

3. Seven

Seven ..or eight

Great thankyou, that's the one for me then :)

4. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Chris: I have downloaded the PT programme and it is amazing and thank you for the link. What a clever piece of software! I have only used it so far for distortion, but I see it can do vignetting as well. Have you tried that on your 5D shot with the wide lens wide open?

and Tanya, you won't regret it. I see that minty second hand 18-70s are about £200.

5. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Woah - hold on there Bald Eagle! :) You can buy them brand new for less than that - maybe the price has come down since you got yours?

Nikon 18-70mm AFS Nikkor, £189 at Warehouse Express.

If it's half as decent as everyone says then that does seem like a no-brainer. I'm going to wait and see how the 18-200mm VR pans out [pun intended :)], and then decide - it will be a good bit more pricey (circa £480 SRP - maybe less on the street, of course), but if it can do a reasonable job across the range I might well go for it. Otherwise an 18-70mm will definitely be on my shopping list. :)

6. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Thanks Clive; yes I have and it seems to work very well, but then so does the PS vignetting control.

I am very impressed by the willingness of the guy who runs PTLens to produce extra lens profiles on demand and based upon ones own "registration" pictures.

7. Seven

Seven ..or eight

Phew thought I'd got the wrong lens for a mo when I saw Clives post, before asking my question I saw on another site for £199 new :)

8. Leif

Leif Well-Known Member

You can get many Nikon lenses in white so that people think you are shooting Canon. But you can never escape the shame and humiliation of using Nikon.

I downloaded PTLens. It's neat. I checked out DxO but it is expensive and the range of lenses supported is small.

All I need now is a decent free sharpener to avoid me having to do DIY high pass sharpening.

I wonder how many D200 Warehouse Express will get in the first shipment?

Leif