1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D200 imminent?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by snapperlondon, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon D200 is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking of Seal pups...

Guess where I'll be on Thursday, that is if the weather stays fine for it.

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

....the hunting store???

Isnt it somewhere like Donnas nook(???)

Graeme

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Ey, Donna Nook. Lincolnshire.

Was there last year as well:

[​IMG]
    "I'm so cute... Don't shoot me, unless it's with your camera"

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Nice pair of slippers.... :D :D

Graeme

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Nah... Make mine out of cats ;)

6. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

Enough with the cat cruelty, Cath is watching !

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

:D :D :D :D
    Just noticed....we started out talking about the D200 and ended up being sold a pup! :D

Graeme

8. zephya

zephya New Member

...it has been announced

I'm interested in your opinions - I have a Nikon 5700 bridge and a canon eos 300 ( just the one lens 28-200 ) - I've been holding off getting a DSLR not knowing to whether to go for Nikon or Canon - also wondering what level of camera to go for - I want a quality body that will last a few years and good lenses which don't cost the earth.

Thanks - Zeph

9. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"I want a quality body that will last a few years and good lenses which don't cost the earth.".............................Unfortunately that particular combination is virtually impossible with regard to digital cameras Zephya :( I know in the case of Canon anyway that if you want the quality optics then you really have to fork out for their "L" grade lenses. Canon do make cheaper alternatives designed specifically for digital cameras but all the reports I've heard suggest that the "L" glass is still vastly superior. That's not to say that the cheaper lenses are in any way bad, just that they're not as good as the L variants. I suppose if you're not too critical then the cheaper alternative would be fine really but I'd avoid the really cheap what I would term "kit" lenses if at all possible as they really are built down to a price and show it in their optical performance. The best advice I can give is get the best lens you can afford and try not to skimp in this vital area as digital cameras really do demand the best possible glass you can afford.

BigWill

10. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

Then you could sell me your 18-70! :D

11. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Zeph: probably the best combination available at present is the Nikon D70s with 18-70mm lens (35mm equivalent = 27-105mm) This would be a good place to start. I have just been preparing images of York for a stock agency with that lens on a Nikon D2X and looking at images at 100% I can confirm that it is a very very good lens indeed. Other lenses could be added in time.

Having said that, however, and as this thread is about the imminent Nikon D200 it might be worth waiting for this one, which is probasbly a better build with a few extras on the D70s and with around 75% more pixels. It is to be marketed with the 18-70 as one of the available packages.

12. Seven

Seven ..or eight

Clive do you think the 18-70mm would do as well on the D100? Just checked out prices and it's very cheap, been needing to replace my 24-85 for ages but haven't had the funds for anything so far.

Amazing price for the D200 considering how much the D100 first retailed for!

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Definitely, Tanya. It is a really good lens and a snip considering its quality.

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I'm certainly thinking about getting one. Clive, Bjørn's only substantial criticism seems to be distortion - have you found that a problem?

15. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Certainly more than the 17-35, Huw, but that one is only distortion free at around 24mm (as you once informed me). But all is easily corrected by this freebie download 'filter' which is what I have been using for some time for corrections when necessary.

16. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Hello Clive - does it do a better job than the "correction" filter built into CS2.

I struggle a bit on occasion with a rectilinear wide angle (the wide end of a Sigma 24-70) which seems to be well corrected in the centre and at the edge, but introduces barrel distortion in areas between the centre and the edge. Using the CS2 correction filter to get rid of this barrel distortion introduces pincushion distortion at the edge of the frame. Often I can find a sensible compromise, but sometimes it defeats me totally.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

DxO.

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Try it Chris - I usually do it in small increments until it looks right. I haven't tried PS's programme as this one seems to do it fine. Mine appears in PS when I click on 'filters'.

19. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

They haven't done the 5D yet

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Won't be long!