1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon D200 imminent?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by snapperlondon, Oct 3, 2005.

1. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

Finally an advert stating

"Scoop purchase Nikon D100 £699 LAST FEW!"

Warehouse Express advert in Amateur Photographer 8 October 2005...if they can't get hold of any more then the new camera must be on its way! (Hopefully!) :cool:

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I saw a similar ad for Rover cars the other day. That didn't imply that a new model was on the way... ;)

3. snapperlondon

So Nikon are just going to let the market for the current D100 go? Doubt it!

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Quite agree...they will do the re-badge effort and continue to flog it....D100B

(thats D100 BOTOX edition)

Graeme

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wonder how many D100s they have sold in the last year or two? For that matter, I wonder just how long ago D100 production actually stopped? Clearly the D70 had a massive impact on D100 sales, and I think the D2X produced some squeeze from the top as well. Do Nikon really need a D100 replacement? The D70/S has done a pretty good job across market segments.

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, speaking personally, the D70(s) lacks too many important features, or is too lowly specified in key areas, for my purposes. The D100's viewfinder, for instance, is better than the D70's, and yet still not really good enough, as far as I am concerned. And there are many other such examples. But then if the next step up from a D70 is a D2 series camera, then it's a heck of a price gap. Indeed, if the 4MP of a D2Hs isn't enough for the required purposes, then the gap is over £2500 to a D2X. So yes, a D100 replacement is needed.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fair points. It's just that everyone I know who I would've expected to buy a D100 has gone for the D70.

I must say that in the Canon world, a decent viewfinder is one reason why I fancy the 5D - you get used to the smaller finder, but...

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, yes, I appreciate that, but I think that's principally because the D70 got the newer improved processing engine, that gave it a much better buffer performance, and of course the newer iTTL flash system. Both of these things (and one or two others) were simply not available at the D100 price point when it was released. Obviously a D100 replacement would get whatever was the current best options for its price bracket.

But the D70 does still have some hefty limitations over the D100 - no ISO settings above 1600, no option for the MC30 remote control (though it does have a natty IR remote, which would be great, if only it could be used from behind the camera), no anti-aliasing filter, even smaller darker viewfinder, no voice notes, no battery pack/vertical controls (other than third party kit), and so on.

Definitely - it's the one real downer with APS-C format DSLRs - crappy viewfinders. :-(

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I wonder if anybody will follow Leica's DMR lead there; ie, a full frame viewfinder but with an inset frame to show the "digital picture area" similar to how Nikon show the cropped area in the D2X I think, but a complete framing. Very useful for seeing what is just outside the composition to avoid that semi-inevitable intrusion by a fat tourist into your meisterwerk! ;)

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I think Sigma did it with their SD9/10, didn't they? But it looks like Canon and Nikon are going the other way now - reducing pentaprism size to save on weight - so it wouldn't be possible. It does seem like a good idea though.

11. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I'd like a FF camera for the viewfinder alone if it's anything like the EOS 3. However, I have a big birthday in 2007 and so I think I'll treat myself to the 5D equivalent that happens to be on the market then whether that will be a 5Ds, a 5Dn, a 5D MkII or a 3D.

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh yes - sorry about that! ;-)

13. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

OK, how does this sound?

D200:
    12.4mp semi-pro but smaller and lighter than the D2X/D2H Available with an optional hand grip/battery compartment. No in-built flash
    To go with this, a new DX 19-70mm lens around f/3-4 (28-105mm equivalent)
    Price initially £1995, dropping to £1600 after a few months.

This will excite the amateur/enthusiasts and as a second body for the D2Xers.

So I'm basically imitating the idea of the D100 following the D1X, and the introduction of the 28-105 lens with the F100 :)

Or perhaps a 35-90 DX lensgiving 50-135 equivalent.

14. snapperlondon

I know a pro photographer who is desperately waiting for the D100 replacement...she has a D70, but really wants a camera that will take a battery grip, not have all those annoying programme modes and is a bit more robust! At the same time she doesn't want to cough-up the £3000+ for a D2X! If Nikon don't act soon she may well opt for the Fuji, which she doesn't really want to do!

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Am I alone in that the D70s is more than adequate for my needs? Only wish I was as good as the camera.

16. snapperlondon

I'm sure it is! But that doesn't mean it suits everyone! I know a documentary photographer who has three Nikon FM2n bodies with a selection of AIS lenses...he doesn't need anything other than manual focus and manual exposure! Does that mean that Nikon should never have developed auto-focus, etc?

If the D70s suites your needs then great...but some of us want to upgrade our D100 bodies for a more up-to-date equivalent...and the D70s isn't it!

17. ahar

ahar Well-Known Member

Nope, not the only one

18. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Does it not take a decent snap anymore then? ;)
    If I were in the market, the D1H would be camera enough for my needs I reckon. Full use of the manual lenses I have, which for my very meagre desires would be much more important than the bigger file size of the D50 or D70.

19. snapperlondon

OK, so I don't want to update the D100 exactly (it is still a great camera)...but I do want a second digital body...and can't see the point of buying another D100 when its replacement MUST now be around the corner. The D70s is no use to me (no offence to all the D70 owners (some of whom will no doubt take my comments as a personal insult)) as I want a camera with a battery grip, etc (as per the D100). The D2X costs more than I can justify spending.

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Brian,

Nope, you are not alone....even though I don't have the D70s, I am satisified with my Pentax IST*Ds but over at that other (UK based) digital photograhy site, a lot of the K-mount users are wondering where there "full-frame" "double-digit MP" camera is :D.

I, like you, wish I was as good as the camera...but then I could claim that with regards to my K1000 :eek:.

:)

Jack