1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikon Coolpix P900 - Fault? Lens movement - dull thud noise.

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by chrisjoanne, Jun 9, 2017.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

Hi
    I'd very much appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction. I purchased the P900 last week and found a very noticeable dull thud "feeling" while tilting the camera up and down / back and forth. I searched forums and could not get a definitive answer. I took the camera back to the store (John Lewis in Uk) and the guy didn't know what it was so I received a new P900.
    The camera did not have any problems and felt "tight" and nothing seemed to be loose or have a feeling in the hand of anything being being disconnected from within the lens area.
    I've now used the camera for 4 days and the dull feeling has now returned to this camera. Again, it's when the camera is moved back and forth / up and down.

Searching again on forums, including here, some users are stating its the optical lens which is moving around and that's perfectly ok (?) I am a total novice of photography (on the 1st step of the ladder) so I'm a little surprised to hear there should be this feeling from within this £450 camera. However, I've also read that there should be no feeling of "dullness"and any camera that has any feeling of movement should be returned (!). I had my brother-in-law take a look as he knows a little about camera's and he said there's movement in the lens casing but I shouldn't be too worried. Your thoughts are welcome. Chris

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

I've just done a small test - It seems when the camera is in the "off" state that you can feel something moving. When it's turned on and zoomed a little the feeling of movement is reduced drastically. Thanks

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The noise you can hear is almost certainly related to the image stabiliser which uses a floating element or group to counteract image movement due to wobble. When the camera is on it is active and under control but when off it can move around a bit which is probably the thud you hear. Some of my image stabilised SLR lenses do the same.

Movement of the lens casing is quite common with zooms - especially the type which extend out as the P900s does - there's a limit as to how tight it can be before the zoom mechanism becomes unacceptably stiff in operation, it's a typical engineering trade-off...

Done_rundleCams and chrisjoanne like this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep, optical stabiliser is most likely.
    It is possible to feel this in just about any lens that uses optical VR, and it is simply the floating element clunking back into neutral. If one holds the camera in a neutral position, the element has gravity to help it, whereas if tilted, the lens has to fight against gravity, and that takes a lot of thunking about.

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

Many thanks for both replies - Seemed strange that it didn't appear to be there when I first used the camera and I was obviously listening and feeling for "problem".
    It does seem to be more noticeable when in the off position. I'll have a play around and hopefully get used to it. Thanks

6. AndyTake2

Nikon state that VR should be turned off before switching the camera off.
    This allows the floating element to go to it's park position gracefully, instead of hanging around in the breeze.
    I don't know if you have the option as a simple button on the bridge camera, but if so, it is certainly worth trying.

7. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

Hi Andy - that's really interesting that you said that as I followed a youtubers recommendation settings for the P900 yesterday and changed the VR to "Active".
    Please bear in mind I do not believe there was any movement before I changed these settings - I certainly didn't feel any optical stabiliser issue.
    I've given it a go and turned it off now, but unfortunately that hasn't sorted out the clunking about.
    I didn't know about turning VR off before switching the camera off - is it possible by not doing this that a small fault has occurred within?
    As stated above, I new to photography and learning via baby steps.
    Thanks Chris

8. AndyTake2

Unlikely to cause faults, if it did half of my lenses would be knackered.

9. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

Haha...cheers

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Chris and Joanne,

Both, Andy and Nigel are spot on in the answers. :) When I got my P900 two years ago I heard the same thing and had the same query but, luckily,
    for me (maybe) I'm in photo retail and so I was able to contact my Nikon sales rep and get the answer that day :). As well, FWIW, I have had similar
    questions regarding various lenses with the built-in stabilisation from a variety of manufacturers. ;)

Have you had a chance to get out and take some pics with your P900, yet? If not, I think you're going to be amazed at the results. I know I was and
    here's a few samples :)

Aug26-15-AP-BeachBoys-DSCN7697 copy.jpg Aug26-15-AP-BeachBoys-DSCN7608 copy.jpg Aug26-15-AP-BeachBoys-originals-DSCN7166 copy.jpg Aug4-15-AP-FF-Grizzly-DSCN5389 copy.jpg Feb5-17-AP-Sun-DSCN0523 copy.jpg Feb5-17-AP-Sun-DSCN0592 copy.jpg Feb13-17-AP-Mon-DSCN0714 copy.jpg Feb13-17-AP-Mon-DSCN0645 copy.jpg June22-15-AP-2000mm-DSCN1361 copy.jpg June22-15-AP-DSCN1339 copy 3.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

exspmr likes this.
  11. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne Member

Hi Jack

Superb photos there! I think I can rest better now that I've heard back from 3 users - and its good to hear you've got the P900 too.

Hopefully the photos I've uploaded have come through well. They were taken on day 1 of getting the camera - handheld too. Think they are ok for 1st attempt.

Cheers all for feedback.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done_rundleCams and exspmr like this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Chris and Joanne,

A great selection of photos, C&J, :) and, with the P900, it's difficult not to shoot the moon, full or otherwise ;) Looking forward to seeing lots more pics :D

Cheers,

Jack