1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nikon 105 micro

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by jbhhall, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

Thinking buying nikon105 macro,but friend told me to go for sigma 105 which a p have given a good read up. Been sorting through some back dated a ps to see if I can find review on Nikon 105,but cannot find anything ,do you think I should go for Nikon or sigma?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I believe that all the current macro lenses of around this focal length are excellent. At least a Nikon lens should be more future-proof, given Sigma's record in the past.

Learning likes this.
  3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

When I first got interested in close ups I bought a second hand 105 mm micro nikkor it was old but the results were really good, when I had more money to spend I done a complete upgrade including cameras, and the 105, I still have the 105 but the cameras have long gone, the 105 must be 20 years old now its a great lens and I don't suppose I will ever get rid of it, it works well with all my DSLRs and its stood the test of time, the trouble with third party lenses is the value drops very quickly but after saying that they are still good value for money. But in my opinion I would buy Nikon.......

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My experience is that third party lenses aren't always compatible with cameras produced after the lens was released. The purchase of my first D3 necessitated a policy of buying only Nikon lenses for this reason.

5. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

Thanks for advice, I think I will go for Nikon thanks.

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I was trying to choose between the Sigma and Nikkor macros a few years ago. Tests and reviews suggested very similar optical performance, and I’ve had no problems with my Sigma 8-16mm, 50mm Art or 150-500mm on my Nikon D90 or D800. I opted for the Nikkor mainly because it stops down to f/32, whilst the Sigma is limited to f/22, which gives a very shallow depth of field at 1:1 (although at f/32 sharpness is limited by diffraction).

Chris