1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nikkor 16-80mm sticky zoom @ approx 35mm

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by d7200-james, Aug 28, 2017.

1. d7200-james

d7200-james New Member

hi all,

I've had a nikkor 16-80mm f2.8 lens for approx 18 months. At 12 months old I noticed that the zoom collar, at about 35mm, feels like there's a bit of extra resistance when compared to the rest of the zoom range.

The lens performs perfectly always (it's an amazing lens and it would highly recommend it!).

Question I have is, has anyone else got the same lens and have a similar feel at that point?

I'm not sure if it's me as I can't recall whether it's always been like that, it may be that it's just another element moving inside at that point.

That said, I had a kit lens get sticky then break so I don't want to end up in a similar position with this one. With warranty end coming close, i'm also considering sending it back to Nikon for a look see but don't want to pay for an unnecessary assessment if it's be being daft!

Thank you for reading!
    James

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have the lens in front of me now, mounted on a D500.

Zooming from 16 to 80 at about 35mm there is a very slight slackening of resistance. Moving in the opposite direction the change is almost imperceptable. In my own case there is nothing to worry about. If you have any grittyness or excessive play then there is a problem. If possible I suggest that you examine a similar lens at a dealer.