1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Time London

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by warnox, Dec 30, 2013.

1. warnox

warnox Member

Hi all,

I've had my Canon 60D for about a year and have finally decided to take photography a bit more seriously. Attached are a couple of photos I took in London a few days ago, they have had some basic post processing done on them but nothing major. All were taking with a 18-55mm IS Canon kit lens.

I think they seem slightly blurry, even with a bit of sharpening applied. I'm not sure if this is down to the lens or if I'm doing something wrong but the tripod wasn't moving :) Upgrading the lens is on my list of things to do but I just need to decide if it's worth it at this stage, a 15-85mm is rather pricey.

Please let me know what you think I can improve with any of these shots, even down to post processing. All EXIF data is included with the images so you can see what settings they were captured with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Gregor

2. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

Hi Gregor, I too am a (fairly) beginner.

My thoughts on these shots is that the composition is off. They could both do with cropping out alot of the dark areas, and could use a some ambient light in the scene.

I prefer the second, the reflections are cool, but the subject is quite far away. I tried an edit, cropped in, an lightened and it looks cool but there's not much going on, a boat may have helped? And the industrial buildings on the right aren't pretty.

[​IMG]
    http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/MyopicGeorge/media/photo_edit_zpsf2acb3c5.jpg.html

On the note of blurriness, are you using the timer when its on a tripod? So any shake will have gone by the time the shutter fires...

Hope this helps!

George

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I agree with the above. Night time shots are usually much better when not quite shot at night. Try just after the sun has set so there is still some colour in the sky.

4. warnox

warnox Member

Thanks for the feedback. Fair point on cutting out the black areas, I should've thought of that :)

So you think the photos would look better if you could see a bit of the sky too? Hence taking the photos before dark.

Regarding the blurriness, yes I used a 2 second timer as I don't have a remote for shutter control yet. Do you think a better lens would improve this as well as the overall image quality?

5. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Using the 2 second timer ON THE TRIPOD shouldn't add any blurriness, asssuming that you did use a tripod of course? Its suggested, I believe, not to use the IS on the lens when shot from a tripod. Also using a good F stop of say F8 would improve things as this is typically where the lens is at its best.

6. warnox

warnox Member

I did use a tripod, yes. So I don't think the blurrieness is caused by camera shake.

F stop was on about 25 though as I didn't want any DOF in the picture. Suppose I could actually lower that a bit.

7. warnox

warnox Member

oh and yes, IS was off.

I'm seriously considering getting a 15-85mm but 400 pounds might be a bit much...

8. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

15-85 is not sharp, it is acceptable in mid apertures. At the "wide" [24mm equivalent] end it needs every bit of Canon's software to unravel distortions, this crops the edges of your image (I am a 60D owner with 15-85 and I am comparing to Leica M slides, possibly a bit severe but Hasselblad/Planar users would sneer at my best anyway.....)

It all depends what your standards are; a good 60D (or Nikon equivalent 16 megapixel plus) shot is fine UNTIL you see a projected slide from a real film camera. On t'other hand, the shadow recovery with digital RAW and fair quality bodies and lenses far exceeds what film can do.

Use your tools accept their limitations and work around them.

Good luck & happy New Year