1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nigel's Worst Cameras comments

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PentaxManiac, Dec 16, 2015.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I can't find a death notice anywhere - a family tree online suggests that he's 92 next year.

Adrian

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

Hope so (and in good health at that). A lovely man -- I've met him a few times -- and a genius as a camera designer, even if the Periflexes were idiosyncratic. Anyone else ever used a WA 67? Or indeed met Sir Kenneth?

Part of his charm is that he talks to you as an equal, as if you already know all the stuff he's telling you and he's merely reminding you. He was a pioneer on wave-front lens design, for example, which was why some British Optical Lens Company lenses were far better than apparently similar competitors.

Cheers,

R.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Translation, Roger?

S

4. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I met him a few times when he was Chairman of STC but never knew him well. I joined him in his limo once for a journey to an event in Cardiff. My main memory of our conversation was how annoyed he was at all the tax he had to pay and how much better he could have used the money (in setting up new businesses) than did the government. He seemed like a wonderfully well balanced man and I never met anyone at STC who didn't hold him in high regard.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Sadly no more.