1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nigel's Worst Cameras comments

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PentaxManiac, Dec 16, 2015.

1. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Nigel Atherton wrote a column recently inspired by his old Zenit and asked for other "worst camera" nominations.

He mentioned the Olympus OM101 as a more recent failure. I have one of those, but furthermore I have the equally reviled Autofocus version, the OM707, as well. Add to that my recently acquired Canon T80 (pre-EOS attempt at an AF SLR by Canon) and I now have the three most unpoular cameras released by (then) major brands in the mid to late 1980s, all three together costing me no more than the price of a pub meal courtesy of Ebay. Fact is, accustom yourself to their limitations and all three are fun to use: the lack of manual override and viewfinder information were the main criticisms, but can both be lived with. Just load a reasonably fast film and concentrate on composition rather than LEDs and LCDs in the viewfinder. The marque lenses for the two Olympus models are actually very good, as it happens.

But in response to Nigel's request for others I have a few to nominate. If I was forced to choose only one camera from my collection to take to a desert island it wouldn't be the Canon T50, that's for sure. Or the EOS 700, with its USP of a reversible mode dial.

Pentax have put some less than impressive offerings on the market too. I've never seen the appeal of the MV and MV1, and from the later days of AF film SLRs the Z70 and MZ60 are two of mine that tend to stay at home. I well remember Damien Demolder's AP review of the MZ60, with which he'd had a particularly wretched couple of days. And happy as I am with my Pentax DSLRs, their digital compacts aren't always so great: the Optio 60 is dire and so is the Optio i-10 (the one that resembles the old 110 film SLR).

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was tidying up the other day, and realised to my horror that I actually have TWO T80s. But as you say, the T50 is so very much nastier. However, I'll nominate the camera that started the rot, the Konica FP-1 - the first programme-only 35mm SLR, that gave you no idea of any of the settings. and didn't even use the full aperture range, just f2.8, f5.6 or f11. I quite like the EOS 700, which was the start of the return to sanity by allowing the user to control the exposure again with low-end SLRs - albeit in a mad way. Then there's the Miranda MS-3, a particularly horrible Cosina design that's all cheap plastic.

Most ghastly digicam I've used was one Damien Demolder forced me to, a Panasonic GH4. I've never used such an abomination of badly-designed controls in all my life, nothing working logically or easily and things resetting all over the place.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The worst I've used was an Argus C3, but that was designed long before anyone had heard of ergonomics, so they had an excuse.

My Boots 226X was pretty carp too.

Adrian

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I read this completely the wrong way and thought, poor Nigel!

5. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

I had an Olympus OM101 with both kit lenses, one was power zoom.
    As you say it was fun to use. I also bought some manual lenses which seemed pretty cheap at the time.

But I found major drawback was lack of cable release socket, which was why I sold it after a year or two.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Whilst moving some things out of the way so that the plumbing bloke could rip some floorboards up as part of my ongoing plumbing and heating repairs I came across something almost too awful for words.

A Ferrania Ibis 44!

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Heaven only knows (or maybe hell!) who the designers of the Argus C3 were; it's a monstrosity in it's basic form. The later C33 version however, was an even greater abomination with Argus's large circular coupled selenium lightmeter (sold as an optional extra) attached to the front right-hand side of the body! If you've never seen an Argus, here is a link ...

http://www.arguscg.org/reference/c.shtml

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's pretty bad, but I can forgive cheap cameras for being bad - it's expensive ones that are hard to live with.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I thought I'd seen one of those in a picture recently. A publicity shot from the film Carol..

[​IMG]

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The argus C3 or brick was the most iconic American camera ever made. It looked odd but could take excellent photographs.
    It looked amazing with the large press type bulb flash attached.
    However, though I used one once, I never wanted one enough to actually buy one.

The worst camera I actually bought was a grey rollieflex 44 with xena lens. It was a little jewel of a camera, but was totally incapable of taking sharp photographs. I think it must have missed the inspection stage.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I' had two of them, both very nice cameras, but sold the one without the case and accessories. Basically a Mini T.

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Without doubt the Periflex 2, mind you " Made in Ireland" should have been enough warning.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Now, now Brian, Ireland once built a very remarkable sports car.

15. Terrywoodenpic

The first periflex 2's were made in England, the later ones in Northern Ireland along with the 3 and later 3b.

The Irish ones were better than the English.

Not that I ever bought one, I was into Rolleiflexes and large format at that time.

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

So did Rochdale!

The famous Rochdale Olympic!

[​IMG]Olympic by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

17. Terrywoodenpic

Also built the Titanic

My great uncle designed it.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of the Argus cameras was very prominent in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and the film even has a "real life moment" when the girl reporter finds she only has three pictures left on the roll and has to decide what to photograph on those last three shots.

19. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Ken Corfield is a midlander isn't he? I almost said was, but I'm pretty sure he is still around.

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead