1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick's Classic Corner - No 49 - Contax RX

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Benchista, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's rather a coincidence that someone mentioned this camera today, given it's not exactly the most numerous beastie out there. What it is, though, is one of the most sophisticated manual focus SLRs ever made.
    Introduced in 1993, autofocus was firmly established in the marketplace, but Zeiss were unwilling to produce AF lenses at this point, so the RX was a different answer. As I've previously described in the Canon AL-1 piece, electronic focus assist was nothing new; however, the RX implemented it to a new leve, with not just focus assist but depth of field information as well.

The camera is similar in many ways to the ST - a slightly reduced version of the RTS III, but with the Digital Focus Assist sytem. There's so much in this camera I'm not even going to try to list it all. It carries over many items that had become traditional with Japanese Contax cameras - shutter speed dial on the left, exposure compensation on the right, metering button on the front, and a power switch similar to that on the 137.

As with all Contaxes, the shape is moulded and for me, supremely comfortable. It's absolutely gorgeous to use - dead easy to focus without the DFA, but it can be useful for critical focusing. And of course it gives access to those wonderful Zeiss lenses.

One of my all-time favourites.