1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick's Classic Corner - No 24 - Grey Baby Rolleiflex

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Benchista, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As well as the well-known 120 6x6 models, Rollei periodically produced models taking 127 film, shooting a nominal 4x4 image size. This was a particularly popular format with slide users, as the slides would fit the same external mount size as 35mm - so called "superslides".

The Baby Rolleiflex really is precisely that - a small Rollei TLR. It's very much like the grey T of the same era, with minor differences (aside from size) - it actually has automatic loading, it has knob wind, and the shutter can only be released with the hood erect. Oh, and it has a 60mm f3.5 Schneider Xenar taking lens.

Mine is complete with a plastic lens cap, plastic/leather case reminiscent of the Tropical case, and a special Bayonet I lens hood with cut-outs to allow it to clear the lesser between-lens distance of the smaller format.

I have a small supply of both E6 and B&W (Maco) film for the camera - it's a nice piece of kit, and it would be a real shame to be unable to use it ever again.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I always fancied one of these, I guess because I'm drawn to the odd and unusual and because they're so much a miniature version of their big brother.

I too mourn 127 - I have six rolls of the infamously curly Efke in my fridge that I guess I will use in my VPK, then me VP Twin, then one each through the Purmas... which just leaves one roll to play with *sniff*.

I s'pose I could keep the backing papers and buy 100 feet next time Ilford do their odd sizes offer...

Adrian

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

My boy was given a 'Yashica 44LM' 127 TLR with 3 rolls 127 'Kodak Verichrome Pan 'dated 1978 -- well we have used one roll -- others in 'fridge -- sniff , sniff as well!

4. 127 was a wonderful format for us slide shooters. I bought a Komaflex S in perhaps 1960, it is a leaf shutter single lens reflex for 127 film. Here's a link about it: http://elekm.net/pages/cameras/komaflex-s.htm My example needs shutter work; the diaphragm doesn't close down when it should. If film were more readily available and less expensive I'd have it repaired. Back in the day 127 Ektachrome was my introduction to slide processing, perhaps the E 2 process. Reversal was done with a photoflood lamp! The results were and are excellent, and the projected slides had real impact.