1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nicholas camera

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by saywell, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Nothing new.

Several years ago Gareth Locke even took the trouble of making audio recordings of his dealing with this company.

The thread must still be around, if I remember correctly AP staff were going to do something about this advertiser, don't read the mag, so don't know if they did.

2. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Dealings with this chap can have a happy ending......

A few years ago when KJP down the road evolved into Calumet they sold off a lot of their used stock. Our friend from NW1 ordered a lot of it but payment wasn't immediately forthcoming. Calumet eventually settled the matter by sending their biggest employee up there: he soon got the money.

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Many years ago when I was getting into MF I looked at Nicholas's ad in AP and Phoned him. Not being at all happy with his answers / attitude I asked a (Then) collegue about him. His reply was that IN HIS OPINION (Stressed not MY opinion) the guy was borderline dodgy, to keep my eyes open, and basicaly "here be dragons". Needless to say I've stayed well clear ever since.
    Dave

4. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo Member

Latest - shock - news: today received refund! only after raising a chargeback dispute with my bank tho... Its worth noting that if you paid with ANY Visa card, including visa debit and visa electron you are covered and can institute a chargeback via your bank.

5. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes, I too have had peripheral dealings with the company but thankfully didn't buy anything. Their attitude over the 'phone when I enquired about an advertised item was less than, say friendly. Their prices are a lot higher than anyone else in the use camera business and seemingly for shoddy or badly described goods.
    I would actually like to know how these people stay in business, either some people must just accept shoddy damaged goods or they survive on a cash flow which belongs to other people.

6. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

I always thought that the Nicholas ad. in AP with their ridiculously high prices, was AP's comedy page........You mean the dealer really exists?

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Apparently so... though judging by the negative comments the very mention of their name arouses you'd wonder how. I remember one member some years back reporting that he'd had an enormous row with the owner, a row which came close to a punch up IIRC...

I suspect it's possibly one of those places where you're OK if the your face, and more importantly your wallet, fits, otherwise............:rolleyes:

8. bradfordbird

bradfordbird New Member

I'm having issues with this shop at the moment, what a nightmare. My girlfriend naively bought me a vintage light meter from them back in April which didn't fit my digital gear, so I promptly returned it - lo and behold, I was refused a refund. They're now holding on to my £75 and the vintage meter. The only option they've suggested is that I fork out on another meter which is a ridiculous £335. These people are sharks, never, EVER buy anything from them.:mad:

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

See Damien's post in this thread and send him a PM with full details.

10. bradfordbird

bradfordbird New Member

Thanks Roger, just popped Damien a pm.

11. filmlover

Walked by there the other day, they seem to exist in a rather seedy part of Camden Town, with "druggies" hanging about on the street ready to harass you if you pause to look in their window.
    Somehow, seems in keeping with the comments so far....

12. Ben Myerson

Ben Myerson Member

People have been complaining about this company for years but they are still trading when so many good and reputable photographic retailers are going bust through no fault of their own. I suggest a file is put together by the members of this forum detailing the transactions and complaints of all the members, and it is sent to the local Trading Standards Department.

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

See Damien's post in this thread and send him a PM with full details.

14. av1

av1 New Member

I must say may experience is almost the opposite. I have bought several old lens for my canon camera and also sold a few of my old polaroid cameras. have always found the owner and staff very welcoming, even offering a cup of tea on some occasions not to mention some great photography advice and stories of old.

15. filmlover

Exactly, I recall complaints about this company being made to AP some years back. So if still carrying their ads. I'm surprised. Same old story, goods hideously overpriced and not up to the standard advertised.....AVOID.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Strange how someone joins the forum in order to post compliments to a company that seem to bring little but complaints...

17. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

...and resurrecting a thread that had been dead for about 4 years, to boot !

18. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Revenge of the zombie thread!!!

Mehahahahahaha.

:D

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It IS very odd, because immediately everyone thinks it's either the company itself, or a paid shill, and either way, it damages the reputation of the company even more. It strains credulity rather too much that any genuine person would sign up simply to post a good experience about an oft-slated company in a four year old thread...

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

There have been mutterings about the service provided by Nicolas Cameras for decades, not years. I suspect this firm has probably advertised longer in the AP than any other dealer though!