1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nicholas camera

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by saywell, Oct 30, 2009.

1. saywell

saywell Active Member

I had a bad experience with them yesterday.
    had come to London from Dorset, and took the opportunity of looking in at their shop, after lenses for my praktica LLC.

They have a charmingly chaotic shop with huge numbers of lenses. And had also just taken in a large delivery which occupied much of the shop floor.

Whilst initially helpful, they suddenly decided that as i wasn't about to spend in £4 figures, they were wasting their time looking for lenses for me and would rather sort out their delivery.

So basically I was told to go away!

Was I unlucky, or are they often like this?

They also let slip that their website hadn't been updated for 3 YEARS !!! [and I suspect their regular ads in AP have a very tenuous link with their stock levels]

William

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

There's been lots of complaints about them on here and elsewhere :(

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

WHS. A friend had problems with them a couple of years ago over returning two items and obtaining a refund. He certainly doesn't appear to be in a minority of one. I assume they must have a proportion of satisfied customers though, or they would not have survived this long.

4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

"Do you have this lens in stock?"
    "Yes"
    "Can I have a look at it please"
    "You'll see it if you buy it"

A fairly common line from this charmer, given the number of people I've come across on whom he's used it.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The stuff they have in is amazing. It's very often dirty and also like the OP said hard for the "staff" to find.
    I went in about three years ago having read ads in AP but in the end made my excuses and left (as they used to say in the News of the World)
    It doesn't seem to have improved much in the intervening time....

6. Yanka

Yanka New Member

Such a coincidence! I bought a camera from them but the state of it didn't match the description and it was overpriced in comparison with what was on the site. I returned it, they got it back on the 22nd of December (I've got a proof) and guess what - I'm still waiting for the money! It's an unbelievable stress, because the gadget wasn't cheap and because they are rude!

7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

It makes you wonder why AP keep accepting their adverts, if their service is always as bad as this thread makes out.

8. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo Member

Sounds exactly like my current experience! bought canon 70 - 200 2.8L described as 'A1 condition' for £825, when it arrived - minus hood and case - it was 16 yrs old with very heavily worn mounting ring. Sent it back for refund (they received it 2 weeks ago) and was told they refunded me 10 days ago, but surprise surprise i'm still waiting! When I called was told to 'stop pestering them about this refund' - unbelievable!

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

AP doesn't buy cameras, surely? I expect their cameras are donated or loaned by the major distributors.

10. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

If you buy by mailorder (anywhere in the E.U.) you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations and are entitled to return goods (in as-bought condition) within 10 days of receipt without giving a reason. The dealer is required to give a prompt refund. If you paid by credit card, and the refund was not made within a "reasonable time", consider contacting your credit card company.

Some dealers have a great reputation. Nicholas are manifestly not in that category and seem to have a very cavalier attitude towards their customers and consumer protection legislation. I am surprised (to say the least) that AP still accepts adverts from them.

11. Roy5051

I didn't suggest that AP buy cameras, but they accept adverts from this company on a weekly basis, and if their service is so bad, surely it is not in AP's interest to run adverts from such a company.

12. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Entirely agree Roy.
    If you look at the ads some of the prices are ridiculously high too.Do they actually update the ads or run the same one week after week? :D :)

13. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo Member

interestingly, just had an email from them confirming my refund 12 days ago (still no sign of it of course), and stating that they considered my calling to chase up my refund 'harrasement'! Basically after the 30 day time frame is up i'll be reporting it as theft to the Met police. Unfortunately paid by debit card, so no protection there :(

14. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

The police will not be interested: it is not theft, it is a contravention of Direct Selling Regulations and therefore a 'trading standards' issue. Contact Consumer Direct (via web): they will tell you the next steps. If you choose to 'go it alone' you are unlikely to get anywhere with Nicholas; they will just prevaricate and procrastinate.

15. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo Member

Other option is for me to take them to small claims court, with added costs, then once judgement is granted against them take great pleasure in sending in bailiffs within an hour or 2! Will also be contacting AP, as they are acting at best irresponsibly by continuing to advertise what is basically a business that trades illegally.

16. Roy5051

No input from AP management yet!

17. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've got a new advertising strap line for them:

"Its not just the shelves that are full of Bolex at Nicholas Camera."

18. penfolderoldo

penfolderoldo Member

hahahaha like it! have just fired off an email to AP's editor, so we'll wait and see what, if any, response there is.

19. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into this on Monday. I don't like AP readers getting poor service, especially when the items were advertised within our pages.

20. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

If anyone is still having a problem with this company please send me a private message with specific details of the complaint and response etc and I will do my best to get matters resolved one way or another. I will need as much information as possible, including how I might get hold of you if I need to.

To send me a private message click on my name on the left of this message, and then click 'Send user a private message'.

Thanks