1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEX-7: SteadyShot Inside or not? (Nov19)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Ranger 9, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Member

In his review of the Sony NEX-7 in the November 19 issue, Matt Gallagher writes that it "features the SteadyShot Inside sensor-shift mechanism, which provides stabilisation for any lens placed on the camera."

Is he sure? Other websites' reviews have reported that the NEX-7 (like other NEX models) does not have in-body stabilization, relying instead on the in-lens stabilization offered by some (but not all) of Sony's E-mount lenses.

Potentially this would be a big issue for some people, especially those fond of using lenses adapted from other mounts.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

As far as I can see only the 18-55 and 18-200 have optical steady shot.
    And you have to dig a bit to find that out.
    This would not make it a very good choice of camera if you have age related shakey hands like me.

In other ways the camera seems better than the lenses on offer.

4. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Member

Sony says the new 50 also has in-lens stabilization, which seems like a sensible addition for a lens that often will be used in low light. I agree, though, that the overall lens line seems skimpy so far. That's one reason I'm staying with Micro 4/3 for the present.

Back to Matt G's apparent gaffe: He does go on for a couple of paragraphs about the advantages of in-body stabilization for the NEX-7. Now that we're fairly sure that the NEX-7 does NOT have this feature, I wonder if the camera's final overall rating should drop a couple of points...

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Sony's compacts tend to use in lens stabilisation as well. I just hope they aren't thinking of going the same way with the dSLRs/dSLTs. I've too much invested in a mount lenses.

6. TwoFace

TwoFace Well-Known Member

He may just be referring to the stabilized "adapter" for the NEX which allows for use of Alpha lenses.

7. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Member

No, it was clear in the text of the article that he was referring to stabilization in the camera itself.

Also, according to a field test I just read on the Luminous Landscape website, the Alpha-mount adapter does not include stabilization... and since the Alpha DSLRs do have in-body stabilization, Alpha-mount lenses also lack in-lens stabilization. That means there are NO stabilization options for Alpha lenses on the NEX -- the lenses don't have it, the adapter doesn't have it, and the camera body doesn't have it.

This makes both the adapter and the NEX-7 seem somewhat less appealing for anyone whose plans might include using hard-to-handhold lenses such as a 70-200/2.8; granted, hanging such a thing off the front of a NEX-7 might seem silly as a routine matter, but people who already own an Alpha DSLR system might want to do it occasionally. Again, I wonder if this factual lapse shouldn't affect Matt G's overall high rating of the NEX-7 at least a bit...

8. TwoFace

Your correct, me bad.
    I guess the only way around it then is to increase your shutter speed and trust your steady hand or use a tripod for long exposure shots. Either way not a big deal once you get comfortable with it.

9. P_Stoddart

There are two errors in fact. One on page 49 in the at a glance panel (mention sensor shift)

Then again on page 50 which has already been pointed out concerning using old lenses and getting IS.

Personally I say this second error concerning a high end camera like the NEX-7 is more serious than the sensor size of the X10. Because it claims a feature that is not there. Now if you own Alpha lenses ie your Sony user you might think buying NEX-7 a good idea because your going to get IS when you don't.

Where as the sensor size on the X10 although interesting from a technical position is just a comparision tool really.

We have seen Matt post in this thread so I would like to see if he agrees this is error in the NEX-7 camera test.

I am not comfortable PM him about this to be honest. :(

10. Mat_Gallagher

Mat_Gallagher Well-Known Member

Appologies, the Steadyshot is indeed lens based not sensor based on the NEX-7. Steadyshot is featured on the 18-55mm, 18-200mm, 50mm f1.8 and 55-210mm lenses.

Mat

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Does the steady shot in those lenses also work on other NEX cameras?

12. Terrywoodenpic

That is an interesting question...
    As those cameras have "steady shot inside" and predate the lenses for the 7. I would doubt both the technologies would be catered for. It would make them quite unique amongst cameras.
    I can't think why sony has switched technologies mid stream in a series of cameras like this.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  13. Terrywoodenpic

I you think about it. this makes the earlier Nex models a better bet for using heritage lenses. (or some competitor cameras)

Sony may have taken a wrong turn...?

14. HelenS

HelenS New Member

In fact, all the previous NEX cameras are exactly like the NEX-7 - they do not have Steadyshot Inside. The NEX system's stabilisation has always been Optical Steadyshot (in most of the E-System lenses - it is omitted from those lenses which either don't need it, or in which it is somehow difficult to include for reasons of size or cost). It is thought that the reason for this difference (compared with the Alpha DSLRs) is that the NEX camera bodies were too small to easily include sensor-shift stabilisation. Obviously the NEX-7 is a little larger, but as you stated above, it would not make much sense to change a basic design approach mid-series.

15. TwoFace

"Steady Shot" refers to Alpha models not NEX. The Alpha cameras have in-body stability like Pentax and all lenses attached are stabilized when mounted.
    The NEX system has in-lens stability like Canon or Nikon. You can attach any lens to a NEX through an adapter, but it won't be stabilized unless it's a NEX lens.

edit * What HelenS said

16. P_Stoddart

I can. With having it built into the lens you tailor the IS to the lenses in terms of focal length and elements construction therefore you might get more stops with a later lens.

Also if it is a short focal length there is weight saving if the IS is simpler.

It is still called Steadyshot. You have *SteadyShot OPTICAL and *SteadyShot INSIDE (used to be *Super SteadyShot)

* Just for safety TM acknowledged belonging to Sony.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  17. Terrywoodenpic

Looks like I got that well wrong.:mad:

Has anyone ever tried to find full technical details on the Sony web site.???
    It is as clear and simple as mud. No wonder our tec authors have problems.

Sony only let you find what they want you to know.
    How retarded is that.

I think this is a new trend in Gnostic Sales literature