1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by steve27752, Apr 15, 2017.

1. steve27752

steve27752 Member

Hi,
    Another newbie saying hallo. Many years ago I had a Cannon AL1? SLR camera and it got a lot of use, however my interest waned and for the last 20 years I have been doing other things. Last week we were in Heathrow T5 on way to South Africa for a safari.
    Sooo, to cut a long story short I ended up Nikon D3300, with a 18-55mm lens which was not much of use for a Safari. I am now thinking of buying a Sigma 70-300mm or a Tamron AF 70-300mm lens. I think that I may have the bug again!!!!!!

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hi, Steve, welcome to the AP forums!

I can imagine that an 18-55 might not have been ideal for wildlife on safari, but perhaps you managed to get some landscape shots.

There are, I believe, several versions of both the Sigma and Tamron 70-300s, and the latest Tamron version (I think it's the 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP Di VC USD) seems to be well regarded for the price, but I haven't used it myself.

The bug is highly contageous...

3. steve27752

steve27752 Member

Thank you, I was looking at the Tamron as I was told it was the better of the two. I have much to learn SP Di VC USD?

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome back, yes another vote for the SP70-300 VC USD from Tamron

5. steve27752

steve27752 Member

Is that a newer version of the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4 Di LD Macro 1:2?

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

No It is the more "high end" version. It has better optics, internal focusing, ring USD focus motor and 3 stop image stabilization. The built quality is better and you get a lens hood as well.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

steve27752 likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been very pleased with a Sigma 28-300mm that I bought from Ffordes for £70. A lot depends on what you find acceptable. I've never been a pixel peeper and sharp enough is sharp enough in my book. Here's a shot from yesterday in very poor conditions using a Canon 5D model 1...

[​IMG]

steve27752 likes this.
  9. steve27752

steve27752 Member

10. steve27752

steve27752 Member

This would be clear and sharp enough for me.

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Not bad choice, although you will need to be carefull with shutterspeed as there is no stabilation. But yes they are sharp, capable and half the price...

12. steve27752

steve27752 Member