1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie from Suffolk

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by r1bobuk, Mar 24, 2013.

1. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Thank you, I will go and try both of these in the morning, I really can't thank you enough. Thanks for taking the time tonight. Curry's, Argos and just about everyone else have these at about the same sort of price. All around £300.
    Thanks mate

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sensor are about the same between 400D and 1100D. But the other technology is greatly updated in the 1100D. Not surprising given there is over 5 years between models.

But the Nikon has even better technology than the 1100D. There are a few D3100 users on here.

I go and feel the cameras, see how they handle, compare viewfinders etc.

Don't rush your decision, Pentax also have dSLRs as well.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I would buy the one that felt best in my hands that I could afford. In terms of technical specifications, there's little to choose between any DSLRs of similar age and price point. One might have slightly better focussing, but slightly worse high sensitivity / low light performance. Another might have a slightly faster burst frame rate, but slower flash sync speed. Unless you have very specific requirements for one particular type of photography, one DSLR is pretty much as good as another.

I see that you used to use a Pentax Z-50P. If you still have it, or at least the lenses, they would be usable on any Pentax DSLR, though since the DSLR sensors are smaller than a 35mm film frame, the lenses would give a narrower field of view. LCE don't seem to have any Pentaxes in the Norwich or Colchester branches, but they have a few K10Ds in other branches, as well as a K200D, all around your budget, and they are usually able to do inter branch transfers if you're interested.

4. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Hi,
    I sold the Z-50p with lenses about 6 months ago... I did at the time think that the lenses may fit something else.

I have found VR and non VR in the 3100 can anyone shed any light onb this? I will google it now though.
    Thanks all

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

VR on Nikkor lenses or IS on Canon lenses stands for image stabilisation. The idea is that one or more of the elements in the lens will move to counter act the movment of the camera. The sytems actually works very well making hand held shots easier at lower speeds.

6. P_Stoddart

VR (vibration reduction) or anti-shake, helps with avoiding camera shake at below 1/focal length shutter speed.

Say you have 300mm on camera you can go lower than 1/300 say 1/150 or even 1/100.

Sometimes called IS (image stabilisation)

7. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Thanks again both, so will be well worth the extra £20 if I go for the Nikon? Curry's have the Nikon non VR at £299 or VR at £319 both of which attract a £30 cash back voucher. The cannon is £299 so nothing to separate those. I am Very happy with my options.

8. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

In the words of Freedie Cruger 'I'm Back' from the shops that is.
    Well, I looked at some other camera's first, a Sony and a Pentax and very nice they were too although I was finding it hard to concentrate as out of the corner of my eye I could see the Cannon and just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Wow haven't they come along since the days of the 35mm! But guys when I got my sticky mitts on the Nikon D3100 I couldn't get my money out fast enough. Sorry to those that advised me to take my time but I'm sitting here now with my brand new D3100 all assembled and waiting for the battery to charge....
    I'm off now to hunt out lenses... zoom and macro although i'll have to be careful as the mrs is already starting to walk heavy footed about the house!

Thanks all

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hehe, it all goes down from here ;)
    Congratulation on your new camera, the 3100D is a great camera and you will be surprised how much better image quality is from a modern DSLR compared to your basic compact/phone.
    Take your time to get the most out of the 18-55mm then you know where you want to go and where it is limiting you. The thing with good lenses is that they are heavy on the wallet so you want to be sure you are buying something you use and "need". Makes it easier on the home front :)

Now a word of warning use the long end of the zoom on the Mrs (50-60mm give more flattering field of view than under 35mm) and make sure she looks good in all the pictures and the steps will lighten again.
    I got three women in the house, lesson learnt from a bitter experience :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

If the D3100 felt good in your sticky mitts, it's probably the right camera for you.

I would suggest you don't worry about other lenses just yet. Get out there with the kit lens (presumably the 18-55VR) and start taking pictures, get a feel for the focal lengths you like to use. Maybe post some in the Appraisal Gallery for comments, suggestions & constructive criticism. Then you'll have a clearer idea of what you really want in another lens.

11. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

haha snorri.... great advice!! has made me smile! of course your both right and now that i have calmed down i can get on and start using it. I will not rush out and buy anything else but instead shall concentrate on:
    1) claiming my £30 cash back
    2) Brush up on my photoshop skills so that I can take snorri's idea 1 step further!

Battery is now charged, time to have some fun... well almost. I need to wonder off and read the manual first. mmmm some of it :)

12. P_Stoddart

If the D3100 feels right then that is good.

If you need anymore input from Nikon users there are plenty on here who use the D3100.

If more general I or other might even be able to give you support. Don't be a stranger. Good luck. :)

13. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

Hello , welcome to the AP forum.