1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie from Suffolk

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by r1bobuk, Mar 24, 2013.

1. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Hello all,

I must confess that i don't as yet own a Digital SLR..... I have been on the look out for a nice used Nikon D60 which from what I have read is a good lowish budget way in. Initially I would like to photograph my working Jack Russell but would also like to take presentable macro's. Any advice would be gratefully received. I have been scanning evil bay for a camera, any other suggestions?
    Sorry for turning up so green, I hope you can help.
    Kind regards
    Bob

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

London Camera Exchange - more reliable than eBay at it's worst

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Bob, and welcome to the AP forums!

Any particular reason you setteled on the D60? It's not a bad camera for a first DSLR, but there are a dozen or more others just as good. In particular, have you had a chance to try one in your hands, to make sure it feels comfortable, that you can reach all the buttons and switches easily, and check you find the menus sufficiently intuitive.

To get good macro shots, you really need a proper macro lens, and depending on the subject, a longer focal length can be better - it gives more working distance (from front of lens to subject), which makes lighting easier. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is quite popular amongst forum members - I'm very happy with mine.

Cheaper options for macro include extension tubes, which allow a normal lens to focus closer (though the cheapest ones don't have the electrical contacts for autofocus and aperture control), reversing rings, which allow a standard 50mm lens to be mounted "backwards", allowing close focus (though without autofocus, and probably no aperture control either), and close up supplementary lenses. which screw onto the front of the standard lens like a filter (though they tend to get blurry around the edges and introduce distortions) - I'm fairly happy with the Marumi close up lens I sometimes use on my Fuji bridge camera.

As to sources for a second hand DSLR - there are a number of dealers who advertise regularly in AP who offer 2nd hand equipment, which has usually been checked and is sold with a guarantee. Ones that I've dealt with happily include:

Ffordes
    Mifsuds
    SRS

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Bob.

5. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Brilliant, that is just the sort of advice I was hoping for. The only real reason that I opted for the D60 was that it took a standard SD card and it was Nikon and it felt safe....
    I would consider anything TBO and listen to and take onboard any advice. i really don't know where I could try (locally) second hand DSLR?

Initially I was hoping to spend about £200 (please don't laugh) it seems less risky that way.
    Thanks again
    bob

6. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Thanks Craig

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Almost all introductory and intermediate level DSLRs from the last five years or more take SD/SDHC cards.

If you can get to Norwich, the LCE branch there has a D60 with 18-55 kit lens for £199. They also have several other Nikon DSLRs, as well as some Canons and an Olympus E410. Click here. LCE Colchester have several Sonys at around your budget. If there are any independent camera shops within travelling distance for you, they might have some second hand equipment.

9. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

thanks again Alex, I can get to Norwich or Colchester no problem. I was just looking at there web site! Can I ask if you were on a lowish budget, which one would you buy?
    thanks
    bob

10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome from Essex :)

It not about owning a dSLR. You can take great images on a highend compact or even some bridge cameras. Plus we now have compact system cameras (CSC) as well.

Most of these products take SD cards. It pretty much standard across entry level and more serious cameras.

Only pro dSLRs take a different card like CF.

There was xD for a while but even supporters of that format have started giving support to SD as have Sony.

Plus new cards are getting cheap anyway with high capacities.

Is there anything you are looking to try and shoot? The kit lens ie 18-55mm is basically a wide to portrait lens. So could be limiting for certain stuff. Say action. It's like 3x zoom only.

Most people try and get a second lens that gives abit more zoom ie 15x.

11. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Hi Mr Stoddart from essex... Years ago i treated myself to a new pentax 35mm SLR I had two power zoom and auto focus lenses with it and took it everywhere. On Auto mode (which was all I could handle at the time) it produced fabulous photo's. I never had thge time (or took the time) to experiment back then. I'm thinking it will be easier now (higher shot count and instant results) to experiment. My main subject would be my JRT and other wild life, I would also like to be able to shoot macro's. I like fine things, clocks and other mechanical items.

I feel inundated with choice but struggling to understand spec... I jumped when I bought my Pentax Z-50p and was later told that I could have done considerably better. Is the a minimum mega pixels I should go for? or will that have little bearing on the overall results?

Thanks
    Bob

12. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

10-12 mpix will be enough for most things. I think it is more about getting a camera that you like and will use. You could have a Canon EOS-1D X and a bag full of L spec lenses but if you don't take it with you it would not be of much use.

13. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

haha Snorri....
    I have just been off to buy a Canon EOS-1D X thinking it was a recommendation, I had to make a quick about turn and re read your post lol
    My plan is to keep it with me when I'm out and about in the country or just with the Dogs.
    Thanks
    Bob

14. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

If you did you are lucky ;) But in all honesty my point is that it is so much about feel, when I changed cameras last time around I tried out few different brands and models an found that Canon fitted me the best. I guess it comes form my old film days where I had the original eos Rebel and later an eos50E.
    Sadly I know people with some excellent gear that never take it anywhere but leave it at home and take pictures with there phones... I have a old Lowepro TZL1 bag with an eos 600D and a EF-S 15-85mm lens that I take with me most of the time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

As for a recommendation I would be tempted by the Canon EOS 400D + 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 EF-S on the Norwich LCE page, small, capable and easy to carry around.

16. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

Thank you Snorri, I will go and look tomorrow and report back to you. You are a star!
    Thank you

17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

If you want to play safe, you could try the eos 1100D, true we are talking about £100 more but it would be new, better technology and with the new third generation 18-55mm that is much better than the older one. Another intresting option would be the D3100 from Nikon you could find that one for under £300 like the eos 1100D and like the Canon would be a very safe bet.

18. r1bobuk

r1bobuk Member

sorry to bother you again but in your opinion would an 1100d or nikon 3100 be a better camera then a dos 400d? I will make a decision tomorrow :)

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

20. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

They are newer that will give you bigger screens, better lenses with faster focusing. The image prosessor is faster so they should cope better. All in all yes I think the £100 extra is well spent. Of the two the 3100D looks marginaly better on paper but in the end they are both very good so if you got the chance to try them out you should, then go with the one that feels better to you.
    The older 400D is not bad but it is used and older tecnology and the kit lens was not as good as the newer one you get on the 1100D, if you get a good one you will be ok but with the newer 1100d or the d3100 you can't go wrong, so if you got the extra £100 worth considering.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013