1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie and camera decision

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by 1214chirp, Feb 14, 2017.

1. 1214chirp

1214chirp New Member

Hi people, I'm new and very excited to be here. I little bit about myself, loved taking pics and the outdoors when I was younger. Life happened and never got into photography. Now I still love the outdoors and Ive made up my mind Im finally get into photography. I've been done with hunting for the past several years and now want to hunt with the camera. It will mostly be outdoor and wild life type. I've been saving my pennies and should be purchasing a camera in the next month or two just when Spring time is coming around. At first I thought I wanted a DSLR then found out and read about the bridge cameras. Now I'm down to Panasonic FZ1000 and the Nikon P900.

Love the P900 for being able to reach out and the FZ1000 for the larger sensor, mic input etc. I know the FZ1000 will do better in quality, less noise with larger pics and better in low light. The P900 has a far better zoom, this would help with birds and getting closer without getting closer to animals. It would require less stealth perhaps on my part in some cases.

What are your takes? I also know that Panasonic has a few other cameras like the 300 that has better zoom and is weather sealed.

Help!!!!
    1245chirp

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Personally I'd be very cautious about hand-holding anything with a zoom equivalent above 600mm. I find it hard to believe that the focal length range on the Nikon is usable so would advise you really test it before buying.

I was interested to see the new Sony RX10 iii but it is still too new to expect a demo model to be available to look at - that was as replacement for a Canon Sx40 HS which is decidedly soft at the long end. I didn't look hard at the Panasonic although it felt good in the hand. It is good value at the moment now the new model is in. Depends how big the birds you want to photograph are. They need to be still too - birds in flight are probably a step too far for a bridge camera.

3. 1214chirp

1214chirp New Member

Thanks, I appreciate the info and thoughts and comments. I cannot wait.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have had a lot of success hand holding a 600 mm equivalent focal length lens on an Olympus body - but that was with very good IS and a fairly heavy body. Daylight (fast shutter speeds) helps as well. But in general I agree with Pete and suggest a significant amount of testing, if you can find a friendly camera store.

Incidentally it might be sensible to publish your budget

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The P900 does attract me but it's a bulky beast!

6. 1214chirp

1214chirp New Member

As far as budget I want to stay below $1000. Realistically I would like to be around $500-800, of course I would like lower because I can buy it sooner then later. I also understand you get what you pay for and I want to get the right camera that's going to suit my needs.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

For a Bridge I have always been intrested on the FZ200 and the new FZ300 as these have f2.8 over the whole range. I prefer DSLR my self but yes good glass is expensive. An option could be a micro 4:3 system these have big sensors but still a crop factor of 2 so they give better reach over a dslr, something like the Olympus OM-D 10 or if you like to go light a PEN could be what you are looking for. Both Fuji and Panasonic make good m4:3 cameras as well.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Forum member Done_rundleCams has a P900 and has done some great pictures in the last year or so that I think were handheld. Search his posts and you can check them out.

Learning likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Jack's (Done-rundleCams) P900 pictures are good and eye catching because Jack has a quick eye for oportunistic pictures. Technically they are often let down by the camera. I would not want to print large from a P900. I think that you would find it useful to visit a retailor who has demonstrator P900, FZ300 and FZ1000 cameras. Interior hand held shots in typical shop lighting would show the advantage of the larger sensor. Having said that few retailors will have all three cameras for demonstration.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps you wouldn't but I'm sure I would.

11. Tinki

Tinki Member

Nikon P900 is awesome. I can get shots that I could not before. I am also impressed with the picture quality. I recently went to the Naval Air museum in Pensacola. I used the museum setting in scenes. The pictures are beautiful