1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand held its general election yesterday.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

SPLITTER! The Provisional Monster Raving Loony Party is much more realistic...

Cheers,

R.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You may say that, but a good few years ago we had a MRL candidate AND an Independent MRL candidate in one of our elections.

Of course, it fatally split the Loony vote... :confused:

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

Don't blame me! If everyone got behind the Provisional MRL party, we'd have a PRML government by now. Instead we have the Tories... Wait. Which division of the MRL Party are they? SPLITTERS!

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If we had early opening polling stations, a couple of weeks before Election Day, would we have to stop election broadcasts early too? When does informing the population about a Party's intent and Manifesto slide into propaganda and coercion?
    I'd insist that each candidate puts his views in writing and along with his Party's Manifesto, deliver that to each voter. End of story.

5. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

Sounds good to me...

Then perhaps we could start them late too. A week-long window would probably suffice.

I like the "in writing" idea, though it probably wouldn't help those whose "reading" is restricted to the gutter press.

Cheers,

R.

peterba and Catriona like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most peoples' lives are too busy to deal with politics so they choose the candidate who seems closest to their views. Or they just don't vote at all. Politicians love this because they don't need to prove the truth of their claims or carry out their promises.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

No TV politics for a fortnight.....ahh, bliss.

As for putting the manifesto in writing, that Would be amusing....err....no, no, I didn't say that, it was a typo, I meant to say I would cut Taxis...

Edit....which is a bit ironic as I have had to make 3 autocorrected error corrections in this post:D

Catriona and spinno like this.
  8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The MRL (or should that be UKIP!!) had an overall majority on our local council until recent defections back to the Conservatives.

A previous MP and two former council leaders have all spent time detained at her majesty's pleasure. Don't you just love politicians!

peterba likes this.
  9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Electioneering carried on as normal, during the early voting period. I should correct the early voting figure - it was 1.2 million people.

We are now watching the wooing of Winston Peters, by National and Labour. Interesting things are happening in National - during the campaign someone leaked the information that Winston had been overpaid his pension. There had been a previous controversy around the Green party co-leader, who had admitted claiming a benefit she wasn't entitled to, 20 years ago. This led to a drop in polling for the Greens. Someone tried to do the same to Winston, and the National party was suspected. Winston had repaid his overpayment before this came out, and, being a wily and slippery politician, he turned the controversy into a blame session against National, who of course denied any wrongdoing. Now, the National party is dumping those who were known to have had access to Peters' private information.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh heavens. They must all be following the same safe path as our own politicians.
    Smear campaign against others, appealing to the lowest common denominator voter (and succeeding) - instead of saying what they stand for and what they would do if in power. It's such a cop-out and I hate it. We let the politicians get away with murder - and then those who were conned, shout loudest when they realise what they have ended up with. Aargh!

AndyTake2 and steveandthedogs like this.
  11. John Farrell

We're still a week away from the release of the final result. National party aligned commentators, and media, are making a push for the Green Party to support National - they don't have to want to deal with New Zealand First, and Winston Peters. Y'see, back in 1996, in our first MMP elected parliament, New Zealand First went into coalition with National, Winston becoming a minister. The National Party engineered a split in New Zealand First, gaining enough votes to govern without the coalition, and allowing them to dump Winston. They fear utu...(Maori for revenge).

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, John - is the delay in releasing the result due to the actual assessment of the result, or is it due to behind-the-scenes machinations between parties? Or... is just another incarnation of the tiresome over-done pause for effect, à la announcement of the winner, in televised competitions, these days...? ;)

Catriona likes this.
  13. John Farrell

No - it's part of the normal timetable - all votes are counted again, to give the official result, and the special votes are confirmed as valid, and counted. Parliament doesn't sit again until mid November, so there is time after the official result for coalition horsetrading.

peterba likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just a week-long political party conference and ... hours of TV time wasted on showing people kicking pig's bladder's around fields instead.

15. John Farrell

The special votes have been counted, and as expected they favoured the left. National lost 2 seats, Labour and the Greens gained one each. This leaves National with 56 seats, down 4 from 2014, Labour with 46 seats, up 14 from 2014, NZ First with 9 seats, down 2 from 2014, The Greens 8, down 6 from 2014, and ACT 1, no change. The Maori Party lost 2 seats, and is out of parliament, and Peter Dunne, who was an independent, didn't stand, and his seat went to Labour.

16. peterba

Thanks for the latest on this, John. It looks as though you've landed a similarly 'clear-cut' situation as we did, earlier this year.

If your parliament follows our example to the next nausea-inducing stage, your Right-wing party will (based upon the Right's unshakeable conviction that it is the "natural party of government") engage with some even more Right-wing elements (viz. dangerous loonies) to permit them to assume their rightful rôle... i.e. to administer a good bashing to the electorate who, after all, has only just (sort of) voted them in. I mean, just WTF is the matter with humankind?

Didn't some amateur philosopher once say that, in a democracy [hah! now... there's an idea], every nation gets the government it deserves...? :(

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. John Farrell

There are no "right wing loonies" except for ACT. New Zealand First is expected to make either National or Labour the governing party - with The Greens playing a role with Labour, if that is the choice. There are 9 different scenarios, from a Nat/NZF coalition, to a Labour minority government, with confidence and supply from NZF and The Greens. The Greens have stated they won't work with National. NZ First won't join a coalition that involves The Greens. New Zealand First is a centrist party, in favour of economic and social intervention. They also want to restrict immigration, though.

18. peterba

Would you like some of ours? ;) We have more than enough...

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.
  19. John Farrell

Winston Peters has announced his decision.....a coalition with the Labour party. Jacinda Ardern will be Prime Minister, Winston deputy. Labour and the Greens will sign their own deal later, probably giving confidence and supply. Bill English, the National party leader, is the only one in recent memory to lose two elections...he lost to Labour in 2002.

20. peterba

Thanks for the update, John. How does this look from your perspective as an NZ resident? A marriage made in Heaven, or Hell... or somewhere in between?