1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York - Advice

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Simon_King, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rylinho

rylinho Well-Known Member

Re: NYC

Maybe rude was a little harsh; unsympathetic would be more accurate. I am fairly new to photography and wanted a little advice about buying a 50mm lens for a Sony Alpha - the assistant lovingly placed the expensive lens on the counter and sang it's virtues then threw the cheaper item down saying "rubbish, don't even waste your time". He really wasn't interested in us at all. But hey, I'm old enough and ugly enough to get over that, the shop is awesome. I'm lucky that a friend lives over there so all my kit will be from there for the near future.

Paul

2. Simon_King

Simon_King Well-Known Member

Hi All

Many thanks to those that gave advice on where to go and what to see in New York. Sadly for us the trip was a bit spoiled by the weather being wet and windy, in fact one of the worst wet periods for some years. However, that didn't stop we just got wet!

We bought a New York pass and used that as much as we could, this included going up the Empire State building on a day with Zero visibility!

We went to B & H and the guy who served us was great, it helped that he had the same camera but he was informative and funny too.

We missed some of the sights thanks to the weather such as Central Park and Ellis Island. But to be honest we didn't stop for the whole time we were there.

I have uploaded some of the snaps onto my new Flickr account so if anyone wants to have a look here they are New York Set

Not the greatest set ever but some memories for us.

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Simon

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and I love the photos some great observation in there.

4. Simon_King

Hi Geoff, thanks for the nice comments. That was an experience for me, I have only tried that kind of photography once before so a bit of a learning curve.

I hope that next time we go the weather is kinder.

Cheers
    Simon

5. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

Some great shots there Simon, very impressive. Glad you enjoyed it.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Fab shots Simon :)

7. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

A great set of NY photos!

8. Simon_King

Richard, Richard and Fen

Thanks for the comments much appreciated, from you three (as well as Geoff) that really means a lot! I need to decide what to do with the pics now, I was thinking of creating a photo book for the coffee table in our sitting room. Not sure yet.

Cheers
    Simon

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If you do decide on that I can recommend Blurb.com

Really good quality, I have several books by them

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A Photo book sounds like a good idea.

Obviously staying in the city is beneficial, our visits to Manhattan have always been measured in hours because my sister-in-law lives about 50 minutes East on Long Island. From your images it seems we need to spend more time in the city.

11. Simon_King

Hi Geoff

From my limited experience I'd recommend that, we put in some long days but there was always stuff going on no matter what the time. Strangely the quietest time seemed to be Saturday morning. The rest of the time the place was buzzing.

Cheers
    Simon

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We never go into Manhattan on a Saturday, B&H are closed!