1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to photography, essentials?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Gibson67, Nov 25, 2018.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Not directly related to this thread, but I disagree.

GeoffR, David Loxley and Roger Hicks like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'll rephrase it - you shouldn't have to worry about backups - as long as the provider doesn't go out of business or hike their prices because they have you cornered.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To paraphrase: a free backup service is worth what you pay for it.

Learning and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

For a given definition of "hard earned". I suspect that some on this forum work (or used to work) a lot harder than others.

Cheers,

R.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

You will have to produce a list - I need to know whether to be insulted or compemented

Catriona likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Roger,

Self-assessment is all the rage nowadays.

To put it another way, some of us may have contributed more to society than others, whether in necessities or happiness.

FWIW I wasn't thinking of you.

Cheers,

R.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Images can look really good on a modern flat screen TV. I have a Freeview hard disc recorder that has a USB socket on it, so can copy images to a USB memory stick and plug into the recorder. I have found that cropping the pictures to the 16 x 9 ratio (1.77:1) of the TV, and then resizing them to exactly match its resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels for my TV) gives the best quality, but you will need some basic photo editing software for this. The 'Photos' software that comes in Windows 10 has some editing and cropping tools: but always use 'save as', or work with a copy, in case you change the original by mistake.

Try this on your TV - it may not be the type of shot you would take yourself, but it's an example of what you can do (it was taken at 18 mm on a 10 megapixel APS-C DSLR).

As with any TV viewing, the picture will look best if the room lights are dim and no light is shining on the screen.

IMGP2171 A.jpg

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't know what runs under Vista but you can download Nikon's own software for free and see if it works. Nikon software has improved greatly over the last few releases. There are two programmes and it is not clear how to split your workflow between them. I suggest that you download Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i. Nikon Transfer is included with one of those. Even if you use other software for editing then I suggest using Nikon Transfer for getting the files from your camera to computer. You can modify filenames automatically to something useful and automatically create a sub directory system which keeps all downloads in order. Take multiple backups of your files onto a set of hard discs, and keep those disks safely away from your laptop.
    All digital media eventually fails. No ifs or buts about it. Keep multiple copies.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Talent helps, not that I would know!

10. Chester AP

I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 7 that has run perfectly on Windows XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 10. Members writing on other threads have said that even older versions will run on these operating systems too, so if you can find a copy of an older version secondhand for a few pounds give it a try on your Windows Vista PC.

I have personal experience of digital media failing - I had to get a new PC in April because of corrupt areas on my old PC's hard disc. The PC was 5 years old. First Word stopped working correctly, but would work again if uninstalled and reinstalled. And then Norton antivirus started playing up too, then bits of Window 7, and I also noticed a number of corrupt image files. Attempts to use CHKDSK to make Windows 'flag' bad sectors and not use them would work for a few days, and then more bad sectors would appear and my problems would begin again. Fortunately I had one of my monthly backups to external hard disc, taken before the problems began, so only lost a few images put on the PC whilst the problem was being diagnosed.

Also, be very careful if you use your Windows Vista PC online. Some antivirus software won't work correctly with operating systems this old. When my PC expert was helping resolve the problem with my hard disc, he told me that he had got a some work when many people got hit by ransomware (early in 2017, I think). All of them had antivirus software, but were on XP long after Microsoft had stopped 'supporting' it. Some sources have suggested that the major problems the NHS had were due to this too.

11. krasis

krasis Member

For backups, I always use a cloud so I can access it anywhere. Free backups are just as good IMO.

12. Andrew Flannigan

That's a view of course. Not one that I'd subscribe to.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not even if it was free? ;)

14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Tripod, flash, wider lenses, longer lenses, macro gear, faster lenses... are all things that MIGHT be useful to you. It all depends on what kinds of subjects you like.

I would suggest just one spare battery & one spare card (not as big as 64GB), then don't buy anything else till you find your kit doesn't manage to do something.
    Take plenty of images, learn the basics & find out what subjects interest you.
    If the hardware/settings needed to increase your limits aren't obvious to you I'm sure they'll be loads of suggestions here when you know what you are after :cool:

As far as your computer goes, I think it's even older than mine! Even so I think it will run FastStone - which is an easy to learn free package that does all the basic editing. I very rarely use anything else.

15. Andrew Flannigan

TANSTAAFL (as Robert Heinlein pointed out). :p

16. Chester AP

I'm old enough to know the author's great works and understand the reference.
    Which is more than I can say for 'cloud storage'... surely it's just a server somewhere, in a country that may or may not be stable, provided by a business that may or may not be in business tomorrow. Using it to allow access to selected images from anywhere in the world is understandable (like images on the Gallery of this website), but using it as your only backup appears risky, even if free.

Petrochemist likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

In theory it's several servers each holding part of your files - sort of like RAID but not entirely. :( Like you I find the whole bandwagon a bit dubious but when done properly it's a good system for secure storage of big data.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well yes, I agree with that - but then it also depends on how much you value your pictures. I have a friend who is literally only interested in his latest pictures. If he lost his entire archive tomorrow, he wouldn't care. Which I think is a shame, because he's taken some really good stuff over the last 20 years to my certain knowledge, but beyond the handful of prints on his walls, he never, ever looks at the old stuff.
    Me, I have all my commercial stuff backed up several times - including a cloud copy as a form of off-site backup. Most of my personal stuff is treated the same way, but if I lost it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. i wouldn't be at all happy, but I can always take more photos. For anyone that would be really distressed at losing their pictures, free cloud storage doesn't seem the most sensible option by itself.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think the point is that a reputable cloud service should be internally maintained so that there is no need to worry that material stored in the cloud is not secure (apart from the risk they go out of business or don't do their job properly). Free services cannot be truly free. It costs a lot of money to keep a server/data farm working.

Personally I'm sufficiently nervous to be sure that I do keep copies of everything I store in the cloud. This is quite straightforward for me because the cloud service I do make use of is synchronised with a local copy for off-line use. I just keep a regular back-up of the local copy.

I've not got faith to put my photos up for long term storage. Maybe in the future if the costs do come down. For the moment I'd rather take the back-up burden on myself. I do send low-res copies of some photos to Flickr for the convenience of access from several devices but regard these as disposable.

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

If the company goes out of business their creditors are not going to want to pay to keep the servers running. There will be no way to recover any data.
    Cloud storage is great for easy access, but definitely not suitable for keeping the only copy of anything of value. Having it as a backup in case your hardware fails makes sense - but valuable data should never be left on a single system only, the more backups & the more widely dispersed they are the better the chances of keeping the data. If the date is highly confidential multiple backups can increase the risk of it's security being compromised.

peterba likes this.