1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to photography digital in particular

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by tyronet2000, May 2, 2011.

1. tyronet2000

tyronet2000 New Member

Hi,Despite my age I'm new to this digital lark. Have been given a Pentax *ist with kit lens and think its super, can shoot and delete so a lot cheaper to use , no more wasted film, heads cut off etc. One query I do have is getting a suitable mains adapter so I don't waste the battries when tranferring my masterpieces to computer. Any suggestions welcome.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

As an alternative to connecting up the whole camera to transfer pictures you can plug the memory card into a reader which connects direct to the computer with USB. I have a card reader that cost (I think) £1.99 from Asda so it isn't an expensive solution.

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :) As Largeformat says, card readers are an excellent choice.

The mains adapters are good for long work like doing interval shots for time lapse films or very long open shutter times for night shots. I consider them a little bit of a throw back to when batteries were not as good and the manufacturers would only allow access to the open shutter mode for cleaning the when a mains adapter was attached. Most people got around that by using Bulb mode but many a camera has been damaged doing that. A risk of investing in a mains adapter is there is no guarantee it will fit a newer model when you get a newer camera.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Hi and welcome aboard.

I'd go with the card reader as well - cheap and simple to use.

Plenty of forums and plenty of help if required.

If you just want to natter about things non photographic, then pop into the Lounge bar...

Enjoy :)

5. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the AP forums.

I always keep a memory card reader handy, just in case my battery is low.

Anyway, look forward to your postings.

Cheers :D

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome on here. :)

I actually found a SD memory card reader in the 99p shop!

Pocket size. Works fine for me. Even on my 8GB SDHC cards. They also tend to be USB 2.0 (faster transfer) rather than some older camera at USB 1.1

Assum it is not the compact flash model. But even those readers are cheaper than a main adapter.

I hope you will be brave enough to post some images in the appraisal gallery. :D

7. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum ! :D