1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by dyncoed, Nov 8, 2006.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Just price point, I guess - even more 'entry level' than the D50. I think it's meant to be rather smaller than the other bodies too, which might be the clincher for some people. I admit it surprises me, though, that Nikon have squeezed yet another model in at the bottom end of the range.

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I would love to play with an F6, and a D2x.

The F80 is a superb camera; especially with the MB-16 grip fitted.

Donald The D70 is out of alignment somewhere, so has gone off to Nikon via Jessops to be sorted out. Won't get it back this side of Christmas apparantly. :(

3. bagpuss

Agreed. I though the D50 was as entry-level as it could get.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

To sell lots of cameras and get people hooked on the Nikon system. It will become very cheap. It has all the essentials. It provides an easy path from point and shoot machines to DSLR. Have you noticed the Auto and Program modes. Auto is point and shoot. Program can be point and shoot but encourages program shift and exposure compensation. It is a small step from there to shutter or aperture priority and then from there to manual. The other modes are propbably pretty useless except that they give a familiar feel to beginners in DSLR.
    I feel that it will sell well, deservedly so, and for some be a brilliant learning machine.

5. Learning

If you look at
    http://www.europe-nikon.com/home/en_GB/homepage/broad/site.html
    you will notice that the D50 has gone to oblivion. (Still on Nikon Global site though). Also judging by the adverts in the new issue of AP some dealers don't seem to be keeping the D50 as a stock item. This D40 may be a replacement for the D50, but doesn't rule out a D60 for when sales of the D80 start falling off. I would expect the D60 to be a version of the D40 with a 10 megapixel sensor, and major criticsims ironed out..

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

7. bagpuss

Nope - mr. Bagpuss took out an extended warranty on it.

I just need it to last untilthe new S5 Pro comes out, then it can become the back up dSLR.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If they wanted to, they could dumb it down further to only programme modes etc. - I think this is a great move, though - cheap, stripped down and designed to appeal to those who wouldn't have thought about a DSLR otherwise.

9. Learning

Point taken Nod.