1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by dyncoed, Nov 8, 2006.

1. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re:Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan

Or even the fact that you might have an SLR with a sensor that needs a resolution :D :D

2. Robs1

Robs1 Well-Known Member

If Nikon market this in the right way(not the Camera press) they are onto a winner. Most non photoghraphic people I know like taking pictures but when they see the size and weight of my D50 or D200 and all them buttons they would rather stick with a compact. They are afraid of the SLR thinking you need to be an expert to use it.

If the D40 is marketed as an SLR that can be used by the masses and is small and easy to handle then people will buy it by the ton. The only sticking point will be the Low 6MP count as the consumer market is swayed by high specs and will assume a 10mp compact is better than a 6mp SLR cos it's got 4 more ........

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Not sure if anyone has reported this yet.

4. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of camera in a small package!

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The lack of an AF motor is not a problem to new DSLR users, but it saves cost, weight, and size. Also it doesn't matter to most existing DSLR owners who have bought the new lenses for the small format.The features dropped from the D50 don't matter. The simplifications that make the menus and modes look a bit like the menus on a Canon Powershot will make it easy for many compact users to migrate to DSLR, but all the essentials are present to allow photographic learning and progress.
    The in camera editing, D lighting in particular, will be useful for those wanting to print rough proofs on a portable printer while away from home.
    Some will regret the lack of DOF preview, but let's be honest how often do we use that. Even if you have that facility the image just gets too dim to see what's going on unless you have a black cloth over your head and camera.
    A small point not mentioned in the dpreview pages is the improvement in the 'OK' button which now has a separate central portion. Its difficult on the D200 to hit the 4 way controller squarely to active only its 'ok' function.
    The lack of ease of adjusting white balance and effective iso, together with the unasigned 4 way controller switches in recording mode (mentioned in dp reviews) will probably be fixed in firmware upgrades if enough users want it.
    It seems sensible to get kits out before Christmas, but I hope that when the initial demand for kits has been met, and the street price starts to fall then this camera will be available body only. I expect that Nikon will have engineered adequately and that I will want one as a second camera. I would use it regularly to avoid unnecessary multiple lens changes. The only problem to me is that I would have to learn to crop tightly and properly in camera (because of the 6 mega pixels) but that would be a worthwile discipline. Pity about yet another battery type but it saves weight.
    I expect this to be a very successful camera and worthy of the Nikon name.

6. DS2

DS2 Well-Known Member

After reading the initial camera report from www.dpreview.com. You can only DX lenses on the D-40 which is something of a controversy for most Nikon owners.

The problem with this camera, is that Nikon's putting themselves up against Pentax,Canon Rebel XTi and Sony owners.

In my honest opinion, this camera is very limited in terms of its use. Pentax or Canon would be a better choice.

Cheers,
    Simon :)

7. scm

scm Well-Known Member

No controversy for me. Are you a Nikon owner, or just presuming to speak on our behalf?

Hahaha. You wish. ;)

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

It's not correct anyway - it's the usual range of capatibility for a lower range Nikon DSLR, with the exception that screw-drive AF lenses cannot be auto-focussed. In no sense whatsoever is the camera limited to only DX lenses.

9. AlfChamings

AlfChamings Well-Known Member

Not true. If you read the review (or any of the other publicity) it is limited to AFS or AFI lenses - those that have a motor in the lens. There are plenty of these that are not limited to the DX format.
    It's all about having a range of cameras to suit a range of photographic skill, ambition, etc against price. Let's see how many it sells. It guess it will be the cheapest DSLR by quite a margin. I also wonder whether they have managed to further improve the already very well spoken of image quality on the D50.

Alf

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I was confused by that - nothing I had seen said DX-only.

I am in no way a devout Nikonite, as most here well know - but this looks like an excellent move for Nikon to me. As I've said before, I'm only surprised Canon didn't have a go at this market sector first. I bet they will now!

11. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

You're kidding! Ah, go on Nick - you know you want to. ;-)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I DO still own 4 Nikon SLRs, of course...

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Coming from anyone else that would imply considerable devotion to the marque! :)

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

:D

Well, it's as many as I've got OMs, and more than I've got Minoltas. FWIW.

15. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Ditto!

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, but you like your Nikons - Nick just tolerates his. ;-)

[Well, ISTR he quite likes his FE, or is it FE2?]

17. bagpuss

I love my Nikons; especially my F5. I tolerate the D70 - which has gone off for repair again.

18. bagpuss

Back to the point - what is the point of the D40? I don't get it.

19. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That's disappointing - what has gone wrong with it? It's a great camera, or was in its day, but I guess if you're used to the feel and performance of a pro model like the F5 then it would seem a bit of a come down by comparison. I picked up my D100 last week after years of using a D2H and D2X, and it felt very Mickey Mouse after the pro bodies. That didn't make its pictures any poorer though. :)

Still can't beat an F2 though - that's a real Nikon! ;-)

My babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

FE. Yes, I like it rather a lot. And I like the F2. And I quite like my FM2. It's just the F I'm not that keen on of the ones I own. And of the ones I've not got, I like the F3 and F5 (but detest the F4), the F80, F90x and F100. And I quite like the F801s. I've not got on that well with the D70 or D200, the only two digital Nikons I've used, but that's familiarity, really. I much prefer manual-focus Nikons to manual-focus Canons (except the focus and lens mounting directions), but I do actually prefer my AF EOSs to all the AF Nikons I've mentioned in each category (1v, 3, 5, 30v) - but hey, that's personal preference. I also think that all the AF Nikons I've not mentioned (except the F6, which I've not tried) are pretty awful - the early ones had dreadful autofocus and user interfaces, the later lower-market ones had lots of features missing that were present on the competing Canons. So, in a nutshell, my opinion on Nikons...