1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by dyncoed, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dyncoed

dyncoed Well-Known Member

Re: It appears so...

There's lots of things that doesnt seem to be logical in nikon's thinking with this model, presumebly as i suggested in the begining they may be looking at no-brains type of camera which is easier to work for those disillutioned with bridge or compacts.
    As already mentioned, there's talk of new lenses in the new year, could there be a hidden range of new cameras on the horizon too?

As for the talk of 6mp not being enough is utter rubbish, 6mp on a slr sensor will show less noise comapred to a compact or bridge because in most cases the sensor is larger anyway. Bang for buck, if i was coming in to the market for a camera, bridge or slr, the adaptability of being able to change lenses combined with simplicity would win.

Ken Rockwell makes a very apt statement at the end of the news, he says

"I'm suggesting the D40 to my friends who just want great pictures of family, kids and friends. The D40 is for normal people who just want great pictures, not photographers who want fancy cameras."

Mark

2. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

I fully understand this, I am just baffled why - presuming technology generally gets cheaper and that running two product lines is more expensive than one - they now offer a new camera with the ISO 200 as the base ISO when both the previous launches had ISO 100.

Generally, I understood the technology rule to be that as time progresses, base models appear with the features that had previously been 'advanced', and I was wondering about the cost as stated above.

Or are sensors truly bought in 'in bulk'??

3. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

A quick trip to Amazon and you can buy a D50 kit for £403, and the price stated in the article for the D40 kit is £450.

I'm slightly baffled but it's always nice to have more choice.
    :D :D

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But this is (presumably) the same sensor that has been in use chez Nikon since the D100, and none of the Nikon cameras using it have had anything lower than ISO 200. I assume (dangerous, I know!) that either the sensor is now pretty cheap (in relative terms), or Nikon have a huge stockpile of them. The firmware is sensor-dependant, so they can't just lift one from a higher model. If you're putting out a bargain-basement model, with stripped-down spec, you don't want to spend money developing something that the vast majority of the target market aren't going to care about. As a long-term student of the camera market, I think Nikon have done the right thing in taking the attack ever further down the price range - I (incorrectly) predicted Canon would bring out a camera like this two years ago, and still expect them to at some point.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Baffled? Why? The announced price is the recommended retail price, not the street price. What was the price of the D50 at launch? Certainly more than the D40 price.

6. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Ah, good.
    :D

7. dyncoed

dyncoed Well-Known Member

This new kit could be around £350 street price, logically it has to enter there to dent that market area. How many of the bridge type cameras are priced around that point - lots i should imagine.
    Nikon arent stupid, its not announced to replace the d50 as such, imho, the d80 is a proper camera to think about if your in the market for a half decent Nikon if you didnt already have a d50.

I think there may be more in the pipeline somehow, if there is a real replacement for the d50 market. It probably will end up being called a d60 in anycase, just wait and see.

mark

8. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Ah, firmware issues....good point, thanks Nick.

9. bradalax

bradalax Well-Known Member

Nikon Announce the new D40....

Here

10. Hang-Ten

Hang-Ten Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon Announce the new D40....

One interesting feature to note ... 1/500 max flash sync - same as the D50 & D70 - but the D80 only got 1/200

11. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Re: Nikon Announce the new D40....

AFAIK the D50/70/70s a Combined mechanical (electronically controlled) and CCD electronic shutter. The D80 only has an Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal plane shutter as does the D200 (sync 1/250) hence the slower sync speed.

12. LenShepherd

LenShepherd Well-Known Member

Re:Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan

Why?
    The recommended price with kit lens is £450 so expect the adverts in AP to start at less than £400 Day 1. As it initially seems to come with the kit lens it is clearly aimed at the price point at getting those who would like a DSLR but previously thought they could not afford one to put their toes in the interchangeable lens arena.
    6MP is enough for most press requirements and the target market are hardly likely to want to print A3 at home.
    The target market are only likely to care for zoom lenses so the lack of screwdriver AF will not be an issue for them - and a potential Nikon money maker now that the 18-200 VR backlog is shrinking if they decide to upgrade.
    By next summer we might be seeing £350 as a kit or £299 body only - who is going to buy a bridge camera them?
    It has been made smaller and lighter with some compromises because the target market is used to small and light compacts.
    A minimum ISO of 200 makes sense as the target market are unlikely to be skilled at controlling camera shake, and these days the difference between 100 and 200 ISO is negligible.
    At the price point it is naive to expect all the D200 or D2Xs features - at the price point it will have the tills at likes of Dixon's and Camera World regularly ringing - and will no doubt help to consolidate Nikon's growing share of the DSLR market.

13. AlfChamings

AlfChamings Well-Known Member

Smaller and lighter it may be but it is still pretty big and heavy compared to my 5MP Panasonic FZ5. I would still buy the latter for occasions when I only just decide to take a camera with me at all: F2.8 - 3.3 12x zoom plus anti vibration. Yes it has its limitations but the trade offs with cheap DSLRs are not all one sided.

Alf

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It will be a good deal heavier than a bridge camera when you attach a VR 12x lens to it. But say £500 for the lens and £250 for the camera a very competative combination. No one has brought out a bridge camera with a C size sensor. If they did then it would be just as heavy and just as expensive, and wouldn't sell.

15. JDCB

JDCB Well-Known Member

Alf

[/QUOTE]
    It will be a good deal heavier than a bridge camera when you attach a VR 12x lens to it. But say £500 for the lens and £250 for the camera a very competative combination. No one has brought out a bridge camera with a C size sensor. If they did then it would be just as heavy and just as expensive, and wouldn't sell.

[/QUOTE]

I believe that the Sony R1 is indeed a bridge camera with an APS C-sized sensor, but I think you are also entirely correct in thinking that it is just as heavy and it does not seem to be being actively discussed or promoted - after the initial launch things seem to be pretty quiet, and I suspect it will not survive for too long.

James

16. Eaglejon

Eaglejon New Member

As a newbie to the forum but not to photography my thoughts are as follows;

Nikon are desperate to wrest a larger market share from Canon. They possible see Sony as a considerable threat as well (Sony have made it quite clear that they would like to dominate the 'Pro' market) Therefore they may well be succumbing to knee-jerk reactions in their bid to gain a larger market share.
    I have owned and used Nikons since the original F but I can't remember them ever being so panicky. Probably wrong

17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I think Nikon are being quite smart. Even with a very low cost dSLR, most users would probably, after time, buy other lenses, and once they have a few Nikon lenses, the future upgrade path will be pure Nikon - unless they are prepared to go for the expense of a complete system change.

18. scm

scm Well-Known Member

A company announces a new entry level camera and from that you deduce they're "desperate" and "panicky"? :D

19. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Personally I never saw the point of buying that camera, I think it was even more expensive than a DSLR with a lens, and seemed to have noise problems more than that of what you would expect from a camera with such a large sensor.

I think noise issue is over hyped as the issue of smaller sensors. Its an issue in low light, but the rest of the time, I think the real issue is the LPM that would be needed to actually put enought resolution onto the sensor to match the sensors resolution.

20. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Eh? Translation please. :D