1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon?

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by dyncoed, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dyncoed

dyncoed Well-Known Member

Just been to Mr.Rockwell's site and it seems he has found out Nikon's leaked a new camera again, check it out and see for yourselves.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Not as exciting as the d80, but none the less a development worthy of being called news.

Mark

2. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

First question....why? Since that it stay at 6mp....

3. rsand

rsand Well-Known Member

Looks like a downgraded d50? I also ask....why?

4. bradalax

bradalax Well-Known Member

Does this mean the D50 is going to be discontinued? :D

if so any idea when that might be? I know my dad is after one, but it won't be for a little while yet!

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

You don't really believe this do you??

6. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Hmm after re-reading the article, the D40 will only work with 'AF-S' lenses so that would means the older AF-D, AF-G(?) lenses will not work!!

Can't see Nikon adopt this methods of marketing...

7. dyncoed

Remember guys, nothing is set in stone until the official release, Although saying that, Ken Rockwell was virtually spot on with the D80 specs and the pictures, what he was using to summarise was what had been leaked from Nikon Europe HQ.

mark

8. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If Nikon have leaked this it may be to boost flagging sales and prices for the D50. A real D50 replacement must have more megapixels. Most of us on this forum know that more pixels are superfluous, but your average public doesn't. Please don't bother to tell me that I am being condescending; I know.

10. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I thought that they might have put an 8MP sensor in the D50 replacement.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Sony would need to give them permission for that.....

Graeme

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Huh? Why? (Not that I think it's a likely possibility, but I'm curious.)

13. ukgooner

ukgooner Well-Known Member

I have read on another forum that this is to be a new entry level camera, more basic than the D50, perhaps to encourage people to try a dSLR instead of a Bridge or Point and Shoot model.

14. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I didn't think you could get much more 'entry level' than a D50. How can they make things simpler for a DSLR?

15. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well I would imagine that if Sonys lawyers have any business sense, they will have drafted fairly tight contracts which have an influence on how Nikon use their chips? Assuming that Nikon are still beholding to Sony for their sensors of course. As stated above there would be a clear (misguided) perception that automatically an 8mp (or higher) camera would be better than a 6mp camera and therefore it would have a market advantage. In a competitive situation I cant see that Sony would want to give Nikon a market advantage.

Graeme

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

That seems like a strange assumption to me - Sony are the supplier, Nikon are the customer. The customer dictates the terms. The supplier either accepts them, or the customer takes their business elsewhere. There are plenty of chip fabs in the world which would be quite happy to to have a decent order from a major camera maker for large photographic quality CCDs.

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

You dont think their relationship will change?
    I always thought that Nikon were using chips that other companies had developed and manufactured, have they been developing them and simply paying Sony to build them?

Graeme

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Basically, yes. Nikon aren't exactly novices in the CCD/CMOS game - they are the world's biggest manufacturers of the machines used to make such devices, so they know their way around these things blindfold. The CCD and CMOS chips used in Nikon DSLRs are manufactured to Nikon design specifications. Actually, I'd guess it's more likely that Nikon have the strict control over what Sony can do with the chips - the chips Minolta, Pentax, and now Sony themselves have used in their DSLRs all trace their parentage back to sensors which first saw the light of day in Nikon cameras. Clearly Sony have the expertise to develop their own DSLR sensors independently of anyone else, but I don't think that's quite what has been happening up to now.

19. dyncoed

I think the reasoning behind this new model that Nikon looks like they'll be bringing out is one of easier cross over for a new slr user.
    If i was coming into new slr territory, i'd want something that could offer me virtually the same controls as i'd been using already, but a scope to have a wider variety of lenses available for me to buy when i wanted, something some bridge camera users i know have already indicated a failiure of theirs after a few months of using it.

Mark

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Well if thats the case Sony's bid for market place is particulary bold. They will have to go head to head in the entry level market in the near future. When this happens, I think its likely that Sony may consider sticking with a 10mp chip, to keep in line with Canon. This will make the 6mp in the D40 look very jaded. Its their 4th model at this chip density. While its actually nice to see some stability, it will be viewed as a lack of progress. Which brings us back to the start of this strand in the thread.

Graeme