1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by SXH, May 2, 2018.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well, being late to the party means that you can learn from the mistakes of others, it also means that many potential customers have already bought elsewhere.

On the other hand if DSLRs are dying the death, you have the next generation product in your portfolio.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

But would you consider buying it even if it was as good Sony's best offerings? Nikon tend not to improve functionality of their cameras with updated firmware, except only to correct blatant errors. I would wait for at least the first or even second iteration before buying.
    Edit. I seem to have broken my own rule not to speculate about gear here. Rumourmongering sites are really the place for that sort of thing.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I am unsure about that, I suppose it might well be a matter of lens compatibility, or otherwise that swayed me, in that I have Nikon DSLRs. Certainly an APS-C CSC from Nikon would not be of interest to me, as I have already gone down the Fuji road and would doubt whether Nikon could do better.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The more interesting area of speculation is not whether they introduce a new mirrorless system but what format(s) it will be. I think we can reasonably assume it won't be based on the 1" sensor like the 1 series but might they join the m4/3rds standard? Will it be APS only a la Fuji and Canon or will they go the Sony route and offer APS & FF models? I'd vote for the latter option...

RogerMac likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Well, from reading the linked article it would be 24 x 36.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

As long as it is better than that poxy 1 series, which wasn't fit for anything, it will be ok.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It would it would seem to be difficult for it not to be better!

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Actually the Nikon 1 wasn't that bad - I have the V1 - it was just somewhat overpriced.

But then, the received wisdom is to hate it - Steve Huff has an interesting item at the end of his review of the V1 - the bit on 'Why the Bitterness'. Says more about the people in question than about the merits of the camera. Death threats?

ETA: Oops, the death threats was on somebody else's blog, I'll try and find it.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having owned a 1 J5 for something over two years I can state that it is probably much better than you seem to think it is. Unfortunately it is seriously let down by the absence of a viewfinder, the monitor is near useless when using the 30-100 lens. Given the right lens and subjects the results are pretty good. Given that the camera, 10-30 and 30-110 packs in less space than my 24-70 f2.8 I have no complaints, but I wouldn't buy another J5 a V3 on the other hand...

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Problem with the V3 is that they've discontinued the add-on viewfinder, and they are pretty rare.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of the V2 - who wouldn't want to own what is arguably the ugliest camera made? ;)

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

There is a lot of sense in introducing major new enhancements at the top of the range and letting them trickle down to later offerings - quite apart from anything else the multiplicity of screen modes that smaller cameras have would not be needed on a flagship. Perhaps (un)fortunately I am already supporting three ranges so am not in their target market but many people have Nikon lenses and a new flagship that could use them might sell very well

I seem

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Pentax did something similar with the K-01, an APS-C mirrorless that took K mount lenses. Won design awards, but otherwise not a great seller.

Had they bothered to add an EVF, I may have been tempted. But they didn't and lost a long-time Pentaxian...

14. RogerMac

Got to say when I went back to Oly recently it would not have happened if it did not have a built in EVF

15. AndyTake2

I had the 1 J5.
    Two big issues - the adaptor for F mount lenses was crap, which considering such a big deal was made of the compatibility (one of the main reasons I bought one) is out of order.
    Also the sensor was way too packed with pixels. On such a small sensor it was such low quality.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You are the reason that I never bought one; then again I wanted something small that could go places where a D3 wouldn't be welcome.
    How much more crowded is the J5 sensor than that of a D850?

17. RogerMac

One of the reasons I never treated it seriously was that their publicity literature could be down loaded and when looked at closely was full of sharpening artefacts.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I wasn't influenced by all these things before I bought mine - just a couple of good reviews with fair sample images.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nikon demonstrated brilliant technology with Nikon 1. They could have used it in DL. Twice they squandered it . What's the chance that they will screw up again with mirrorless. I was ready to buy a v3 but they never made it. Imagine a Sony m100m3 with interchangeable lenses including that marvolous 70-300 Nikkor. Nikon have let down their shareholders, their customers, themselves, and above all their engineers. 1" was viable if it was done right. I did buy and still use a Sony m100 m3. I makemore images with it than I do with a D800 and brace of D500. Sure for quality when I am going out to make photographs the Nikon DSLRs are the tools of choice. The camera that is in my pocket is the little Sony.

20. AndyTake2

17.9 MPixels/cm2 J5, 5.32Mpixels/cm2 on the D850.
    Figures from digicamdb.com

So more than 3 times as dense

......or if the D850 had the same density, it would be in excess of 153Mpixels