1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Nikon 58mm will be..........£8k!

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by AndyTake2, Oct 8, 2019.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

I can see them queuing up for it now. ;)

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If I had $8,000 to spare, which I don’t, I would buy a pair of D850s two grips and a 200-500 lens. I can’t see the point of an f0.95 lens for general photography.

4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Perhaps I will just get one, rather than a pair :D

peterba likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

All very nice I'm sure. There is just so much hideously expensive gear being released, few of us actually need it, or can afford it, or if we can afford it we cannot justify it.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is market size - they must suppose it will only take 10% the sales of a F1.4.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

USA prices are often quated ex taxes. With VAT I would expect £10k in UK.
    If it really is as good as a demonstration of optical excellence should be then it will be very good value to those people who have a use for it.
    This lens is not intended for people like me but that gives me no reason to criticise it.

8. Learning

Nasa might put one of these on the moon. $8000 for the lens is now't compared to the cost of getting it there.

9. AndyTake2

Learning likes this.
  10. Learning

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well buy one then!

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A little research reveals that over the years there have been quite a number of equally fast, and faster, prime lenses from various manufacturers with Leica and Canon producing several each. The price reflects the very limited market for such things. More realistically we might expect to see some lower priced f1.2 lenses in Z mount and possibly the odd f2 zoom we shall see.

I do remember that when I first bought an SLR f2.8 was considered fast for a 50mm lens and f2 was something aspirational. Today f1.8 is the norm and f1.4 is affordable, a fast zoom is f2.8. It seems I am using a much bigger lens with the same maximum aperture as I started out with nearly 50 years ago.

13. Learning

If they bring out a Z90 which makes the D500 obsolete then I would buy two. But I would still not buy the new 50mm f0.95.
    If I had the Z cameras then I might consider hiring the 'beast' just for the hell of it. Careful planning would be needed for suitable subjects:)

14. AndyTake2

Careful planning would be needed in order to prevent back strain :D

15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same, Dave.

In fact, I might not get one at all... since I don't even have a Nikon camera. :confused: :eek: ;)

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The reply about "just one rather than a pair" was in reply to my comment that for the price of a 58 f0.95 I could buy a pair of D850s, it had nothing to do with a pair of lenses.

17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Lighten up a bit, Geoff! :D If you read these posts again, you'll see that @DaveM399 and I were just indulging in a bit of silliness about this rather expensive lens.

DaveM399 likes this.
  18. DaveM399

Geoff, it was meant to be a tongue in cheek remark about the lenses, it just happened to follow your post about two D850s.

As it happens, I treated myself to a Z6 recently (got a bit of accident compo). So far, I'm liking it but it's early days. Those XQD memory cards are a bit pricey though!

19. AndyTake2

The Delkin 1TB are only £900, get a couple , one as a spare:eek:

20. DaveM399

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019 at 11:31 AM