1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New mid range Camera

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Philip Procter, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade my Canon 450D advice please?

Many Thanks,
    Phil

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Logical choice would be the new 800D or the 750D. But what is your main reason for upgrading?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

horrible word "upgrading". Buying the right tool for what you need to do is the way to look at it.

4. The main one is for the ISO setting

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Any body in the current Canon line up will be a better performer at high ISO than the 450d. We don't know your budget, but the 80d would probably be the best aps-c ISO performer.

6. My budget is £900 I think the 80D is £1,300

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Then I think you should look at the 800D or the 77D, they have many of the same features as the 80D. I believe the 77D is closer to the 80D, check them out they might be right for you.
    Another question is what do you already have? Do you have lenses and othe accessories for Canon? If not then it might be worth looking at the likes of Nikon 5000/7000 series Olympus Omd em5 or the latest from Pentax. I am not saying you should not buy Canon, just pointing out the alternatives.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you liked the 450D, and I think it's a great little camera, then the 77D might well be what you're after. Better IQ, similar size, improved controls.

9. I have a 450D and 3 lenses 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 mk3, 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 mk 3 and prime 50mm 1:1.8 mk 2. I would like a Nikon but I have all the lenses for a Canon that I think I need.

10. I would like to thank you all for your help so far

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't see that selection of lenses stopping me jumping ship to another brand if I really wanted to. I would imagine most brands come bundled with something along the lines of the 18-55mm and theres usually a similar priced 50mm prime in the range. Likewise the 55/70/75-300mm. If you'd invested in a selection of L series lenses it would be a different story.

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The 77D is nicely inside your budget and would leave a little left over for possibly trading the 75-300 MkIII up for the optically better 70-300mm IS USM or perhaps the 55-250 IS STM. Both also have image stabilisation which is very useful with long lenses.

What is attracting you to Nikon over Canon? Image quality is very much on a par as generally are build quality and feature sets. Canon have an advantage in that the lens mount causes fewer issues with back compatibility, the only real one being that EF-s lenses don't fit non-APS models (and a few near-prehistoric APS format cameras) and EF-m lenses only fit the mirror less models. With Nikon it's a bit more complex in that some of the most recent lenses simply don't work with older cameras - though this should be an issue if buying a new camera and only if you fancy a dabble in the used market. Nikon also tend to be slightly more expensive than Canon.

13. I world like to get a L series because I think there good for sport photography.

14. I got a Canon because my grand-dad had a canon and love it that why I got one but I like to look of Nikon.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not exactly the most compelling reason to buy a camera but I know what you mean....:)

As it happens I have a foot in both camps for various historical reasons and while the two makes have different handling characteristics neither are absolutely right or wrong - just different. Both makes produce quality images from quality lenses (though both have had their off moments lens-wise). If you really fancy Nikon then the D7xxx series are closest to Canon's 77D/80D while the D5xxx series are more like the current EOS750D. Top of the Nikon heap in APS format (DX in Nikon-speak) is the D500 which is a semi-pro model with a price tag to match.

L lenses do have an advantage over Canon's standard range as they have better optics, generally with larger maximum apertures and better performance wide open and faster AF motors. I bought a used 70-200 F4L a couple of years back and it focus remarkably quickly - even on my antiquated D30 and much faster than my more mid-range USM lenses. L lenses also offer a greater range of focal lengths as well, the mid-range Canon tele lenses top out at 300mm. For anything longer it's either a case of investing in L glass or looking at Tamron and Sigma's offerings...

PS L lenses are weatherproof too - which is handy for our weather though you need a weatherproofed camera as well.

Philip Procter likes this.