1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New kit announced

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

I just picked up, from Pentax/Ricoh, as they were selling them off. I picked up a black one w/the DA40 and have charged the battery, so far :eek: Haven't even put a Memory card in it ... cuz, all we have at work are 16GB and 32GB and I don't want anything larger than a 4GB :) So, hopefully, by this weekend I'll dig up a 4GB card and pop off a few pics :)

Cheers,

Jack

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Jack
    hope you got a bargain and you enjoy using "the brick" :D

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Nimbus,

I agree. Also very solid but not as heavy as it looked. I don't think I ever handled one when they first came out. It was one of those cameras that seemed to be always off the edge of my radar, bit like the Nikon F3 but more so. More recently, I was on a group trip in Europe & fellow photographer had an LX with him. I had a play with it and was very impressed.

A year or three back you could pick up one for peanuts. Not anymore, unless you get lucky; like the Nikon F2 they have become a bit of a magnet for collectors & connoisseurs. :)

Cheers,
    Oly

4. 0lybacker

You might need to explain the subtleties of difference there for those of us 'non-pixel-peepers', please, Spinno. ;) :)

Oly

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pixel peepers...pah who needs them.
    Listen I'm a fan because I'm actually learning how to use it and accept that it's got limitations...ok some of the limitations might not suit everyone but for what I need it's a cracker. If I need more tech spec I've got the K 3...I'm only nearly a fan of that.
    Fanboy suggests (to me anyway) blind unrequited love almost bordering on obsession, occasionally (ok most of the time) not backed up by any rational arguments.

6. 0lybacker

Oh dear. I think I possibly click in and out of being an Olympus, Leica, Bronica, Rolleiflex and Nikon fanboy. Am embarrassed. Will go and hide in the cupboard.
    :eek:

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of any camera that helps me achieve what I want to achieve...it's just a piece of equipment isn't it... ;)

8. Done_rundleCams

Just haven't take a pic, yet :eek:, but, woooo hooooo, I did find a
    4GB card, David :)

Cheers,

Jack

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Now you are making me feel that I may have missed the boat on getting a mirrorless Pentax that uses all of my lenses......hmmmm.

I wonder if there are any left, even a yellow one , but they may be even more collectable.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

They have some nice light blue ones in Japan new last year( 2013).... ebay usually have some..:)

11. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Thanks for the tips and the prices have come down a lot from the original. I still cannot convince myself that I want a camera without a viewfinder. It is such an important feature for my style of and approach to photography.

It has occurred to me though that by stripping the K-5 of the battery grip and just using the 17-70 lens, the bulk and weight is not really too bad. Then I still have the 100% viewfinder and a top class camera to boot.

If and when there is ever some funds available, I would like to consider the new Fuji X-T1. It really has caught my imagination as a great street camera and more.
    WEX are demonstrating it for an open day event in March, which I hope to attend. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  14. Done_rundleCams

A mate of mine of just picked up the XE-2 and few lenses (14,35,60,18-55 and 50-200) and absolutely loves it for size and incredible image quality and, in fact, now only uses his D7100 and 70-200/2.8 to shoot sports and uses the XE-2 et al for everything else ….. his poor D600 (and 18-35,28-300, 24-70/2.8 is (Tamron), and V1 and lenses are pretty much making sure his receipts don't go flying away ;)

Cheers,

Jack