1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New kit announced

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

A new 1.4x TC as well as an update to the 645D. Rock on Pentax.....

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Don't forget the Q macro, the 645 ultrawide, and the film duplicator...

3. Monobod

It does seem that the involvement of Ricoh with Pentax is paying off. New investment has allowed them to push ahead with new products and projects. it doesn't bother me that compacts are no longer carrying the Pentax brand name. There is so much badge engineering going on in every walk of life that one can never be sure who is making what anymore. As long as the product works and is reliable, does it really matter?

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm still waiting for the 67D... ;)

What I would really, really like is a real digital MX. Not some travesty like the Nikon Df, but a genuinely small, full frame DSLR - not actually that fussed about the use of dials, or manual only, or anything like that. I'm not holding my breath...

Money no object, I would buy into the 645D range -very nice camera, and I'm sure the new one will be even better. I trust that Ricoh's involvement will mean this one sees the light of day a lot quicker than the original!

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

+++++1 recurring..!!

6. Monobod

Or a digital Z1-p.......

Lets face it, any FF digital slr would be nice. :rolleyes: But please make it great from the outset, I cannot afford three upgrades (K-10 to K-5) again!!!

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not for me, thank you.

Well personally, it would have to be what I've asked for to make any sense, but for most, that would surely be fine.

I think Pentax are in a different place now. Not that the K10D was bad - it was excellent VFM. Be grateful you hadn't gone for a *ist! ;)

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Echo that ...

... but only if it takes OM Zuiko lenses without an adaptor being necessary. :p;)

9. Monobod

Yes, I avoided the *ist. Went instead for an Oly E500, which was pretty good, especially the lenses. Came back to Pentax with the K-10.

Looking again at images taken with it and having the advantage of more modern software, I think it was a pretty good deal. The K-20 was a bit of a disappointment though because mine really badly under exposed everything.

The K-7 was better, but not a patch on the K-5, with which I am very pleased. I would like more pixels to enable tighter crops, especially of NH shots, but not at the expense of more noise, so a FF would be really nice.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh yes. That, and the lottery win to fund it.

Wondering how low the current 645D will be priced to clear, would be interesting if it got to D4/1Dx levels. Still beyond my means but potentially a lot more takers.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

That 1.4X would be nice with the 70-200/2.8 lens ;) or even the a 60-250/4 :D

Cheers,

Jack

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

How about a digital LX?...;)

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In a parallel universe:rolleyes:.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

It should be called the "MaQro"
    Someone missed a trick there !

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Might as well do a run of some new film ones alongside as well. :) Wouldn't it be interesting to see if they sold better second (third?) time around. A much under-appreciated camera?

16. Monobod

The other day, I took my Z1-p out of the cupboard and inserted a battery, just to see how it felt. Well, I had forgotten just how 'low tech' it really is compared to the modern stuff. No variable ISO, no review screen, only 36 images on the 'memory' cassette, no option to delete something, no variable auto focus points.

The larger viewfinder was nice, but not a lot else really. Let's be honest, I cannot see myself ever going back to film now that we have such amazing digital cameras available.

I wonder if Pentax will release an APS-C mirror less camera to rival the Fuji X-T1? That would be something else to dream about, with the ability to use all of my K mount lenses as well as the M42 Asahi Pentax glass.......mmmm. Same price as the K-3, but lighter and more 'street wise'. Could be a retro design like the ME-Super perhaps.

What do you think?

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

my obsession is for a full frame K-01. I'm sure if someone could be bothered to look through previous threads, i.e., when the "brick" was announced I expressed a view that was negative and probably derogatory.
    Having owned one and used one for a short time has converted me into a fan if not a fanboy :eek: .
    But I suppose as one gets older one's behaviour can get more bizarre.... ;)

18. Monobod

What is it that you like about it? I have a love/hate feeling towards it. Not sure about the lack of a viewfinder......

I should have added to my previous comment, that a mirror less K-3 is probably what I would like to see.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Certainly under-rated. I owned one for a while and I liked it. What struck me every time I used it was how smooth and well-engineered it was, expecially the film transport.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Likes...focus peaking, the way it fits in my hand, quality sensor, reasonable iso range, when it's matched with 40mm lens it fits in some coat pockets, easy to use one handed
    Dislikes...a downside is the weight but I think that adds to the stability
    ..actually the real major downside is using long lenses without a tripod/monopod (in my case)
    Overall it's fun to use and given the AF and focus peaking in manual I have fewer oof shots
    I'm really happy to have this camera and to use it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014