1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guy says “hello”

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by SteveSinclair, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Hi - I’ve just registered so thought I’d say “hello”.

I was born in Scotland, moved to Plymouth after Uni and been here ever since - 28 years now.

Been interested in photography for a long time though never really pushed it until now. Trying to learn and move away from just snapping away with the camera. I’m trying to invest in some good kit - focusing on used gear except for lenses where possible. Just bought my first decent tripod but having a problem with the ball head and L bracket (posted in the Beginner forum if anyone has time).

My main interest at present is landscape/seascape. A bit spoilt for choice on both of them here in Devon I’m happy to say.

Right, I’m off to browse the site.

Geren likes this.
  2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Steve. We need some new faces around these parts. Look forward to seeing some of your images. :)

SteveSinclair likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Hello! My Dad did the opposite to you - born in Plymouth but moved to Scotland! He did drag us kids around a fair amount of the UK en route but we never stayed in Plymouth, sadly as I recall I rather liked it when we visited.

Looking forward to seeing your images. Can't help with the tripod issue as I sold my ball head shortly after purchasing it - much prefer whatever the ones with three handles are called. (Sorry - having an issue with recalling words today!)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, welcome. I hope you sort out the problem with the L bracket. LCE in Plymouth seemed quite helpful and knowlegable when I went in there.

Can I ask you, as a resident of Plymouth, what do you think is the chance of getting parked up in Strand Street car park, say ~11 in the morning, in order to take the Cremyll ferry to Mount Edgcumbe? It is one of my todos - we got to Tavistock a lot and quite often go to Plymouth so I know the normal traffic and parking places but I've never been over to Admiral's Hard.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Three-way pan heads.

Welcome aboard, I suck at landscape photography by an order of magnitude more than any other kind :)

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thank you Tony! Not sure why I couldn't dredge that up from the depths of my, erm, wossface, ah, um....memory.

7. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Hi Pete - sorry for the late reply, all this work stuff keeps getting in the way of me living my life . Should be ok at Strand Street. If it’s full try Royal William Yard (RWY) or Devils Point. Some good shots to had in/around RWY.