1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy Needs advice on wedding photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by swan lover, Apr 13, 2013.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend of mine shot his first wedding today

I said "Got a backup camera?"

"Yep both serviced and cleaned"

"Got a spare battery?"

"Two both charged"

"got spare memory cards?"

"Yep"

"Where are they?"

"In the bottom of my camera bag"

"So if you run out of memory on one card, you're going to hold things up you try to find the next one.....Put them in your pocket"

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Better still either in the camera (if it has two slots) or in a pocket on the lens strap if not. If you keep the spare there permanently it will also prevent you going away for the weekend with a camera etc but no card - a lesson learnt the hard way.

Roger

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Can sympathise with that :rolleyes: {not quite as bad in my case}, although as a wedding photographer you should develop a set of checking routines to make sure you do not do something like that with any of your kit or anything else essential for the day.

There are at least two approaches to cards for a wedding photographer. One strong view, especially 5 - 8 yrs ago was to shoot on small cards, say 1Gb, and change at certain convenient points during the day. Card 1: Bride's home, church door. Card 2: Ceremony, register, church door. Card 3: Group shots Card 4: Final shots, cake & reception, the thinking being that if a card failed, something good would exist from the job, re-shooting might be minimalised or enough images might be recovered from the corrupted card.

Even back then, I had my doubts about that. Stories of card failure or corrupted cards were becoming rarer, even in 2005, 06 & 07. I also felt that the extra wear & tear on the pins was putting an essential interface under unnecessary strain and even during a quiet moment (yes, [some] weddings do have them :p) there was a possibility of something going wrong in changeover.

My preference, then and now would be to shoot on one card, of a known provenance and to try not to fill it to capacity. By all means, carry a back-up (or two) but changing, especially where we are with cards now (especially CF), I wouldn't bother.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

My thanks to all who gave me advice on this page, I followed all the advice, prepared in advance, list of photos etc, made sure all was prepared, my Niece has split with her Man! no Job, but a sincere and heart felt thank you all who helped me.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the follow up, even if it wasn't quite what any of us expected.

Cheers,

R.

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

you could have offered to do the split up photos ;)

7. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Thank you Roger much appreciated, unfortunately for southinline my Niece does not find it funny, she is heart broken and shattered so close to the wedding date as you would expect!

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

On the other hand, better a break up before the wedding than after. I feel very sorry for her, but on the bright side you got out of the stress and hassle of shooting a wedding. I only EVER do them under the circumstances you describe: either impecunious friends (or for the last couple, the impecunious children of friends) or very old friends whom I can't turn down.

From http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/ps weddings.html -- Lauren -- or Linda, as she was when Roger was in love with her in the 1960s -- was widowed in her 30s and when she remarried it was to an incredibly nice guy called Greg. It is always wonderful to see the happiness someone you love (and Roger still loves her, like a sister). Otherwise he wouldn't have shot the wedding. How can you reject a request from a beloved sister?

Cheers,

R.