1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy Needs advice on wedding photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by swan lover, Apr 13, 2013.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

or just read back through the thread. There's some very good advice there.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

TMLHW

Too much like hard work.....;)

3. beatnik69

I can't wait for someone to work out a method of drip-feeding information into my brain. ;)

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

blipverts a la Max Headroom... :eek:

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

the other one of course is CBA

can't be ars... :eek:

6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Yeah but a lot of it is contradictory unfortunately. I love these threads and often wonder how many people giving advice have actually shot a wedding!

I suppose at least there are some issues he can mull over giving him food for thought if nothing else.

I'd just add keep your flies zipped up and enjoy it. You are a relative and they will feed from your good cheer.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Umm isn't that the reading of forum posts?

8. beatnik69

You think I actually retain anything I read on here?!? :p

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I've only done 4 but others have done lots more

10. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Hello Gabriel if you look at what has been posted here already and look through the other postings on Wedding Photography you cannot go wrong! Let me know how you get on please, we can compare notes maybe?

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

certainly ...of course you might not realise it ... hopefully wheat from chaff gets filtered :)

12. willie45

I don't mean to sound uncharitable because I know people are trying to help and maybe I'm being unduly grumpy because I'm tired.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  13. beatnik69

I think it's just the chaff that sticks. :D

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

MSN have.*

But I don't want to know what Tulisa is doing or that someone has had a wardrobe malfunction or ...

I don't want to know.

Period.

* I also don't want to know sports results the moment they happen either. Sent a strongly worded note to MSN recently - pointing out how they are undermining their own value to their advertising clients - but they are still putting up 'spoilers'. :mad:

15. willie45

Now that's the second time I recall you mentioning Tulisa. ( I noticed because after you mentioned her last time I had to google to find out who she was )

Is this an indication of some sort of crush I wonder. ;)

Come on. Get it off your chest. It's good to talk :)

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

...and it's in a thread on Weddings.....:rolleyes:

17. beatnik69

I've no desire to know about Tulisa's period either. Oh, you mean...;)

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have not read all the responses so perhaps these points have been already made.

I was a a wedding over the weekend where two commercial photographers were doing the main photos and a couple of points from their technique are worth emphasising:

1. They were at the venue the day before checking the sight-lines, backgrounds and lighting etc. Not to mention making lists and a timetable of the main images they thought would be required

2. When doing the group shots they talked, joked with the crowd and explained what they were doing - in particular they said that they would take the exposures after counting ""Three two one" and asked everyone to shut their eyes at first but make sure they were open and unblinking for the shot.

I do not know if that helps but it's just my 2p worth

Roger

19. 0lybacker

Thank you for your concern. I am touched. (Small sob, choked back. :))

Nope, no infatuation. From what I gather she is definitely NMT!

Instead, I am becoming a seriously grumpy old man. I do not want to know about these C, D and even L, M & N list celebrities but I am bombarded by this stuff and I'm getting .... augggghh! On top of that MSN, Yahoo Home Page, etc., etc, insist on telling me sports results (mostly F1 GPs, golf, perhaps tennis, too :D) as soon as they happen when I want to watch downloaded highlights later. Don't care about soap spilers but I do resent sports spoilers.

I'm getting to the point now, even with good ol' Radio 4, even Test Match Special when the blethering gets to me and I turn it off and think ...

... aaah, isn't that QUIET pleasant? Wonderful. Peace ...

One thing you do not get at a wedding is much quiet, especially as a photographer but as I left, usually as the reception was underway, I did use to assess the sound of it and work out at what level on the scale was the 'happy buzz'. Often, that would make me (however tired) smile, too! ;)

20. 0lybacker

In these days you can, of course, visit locations while in front of your computer screen! ;):)

There are all sorts of approaches and, as in many areas of life, as a client you get what you pay for. When you do weddings seriously, if you have any professionalism and desire to do, at the very least, a good job then you develop your particular approach to that end. It is possible to photograph a wedding having never met the couple, never been to the venue before the day but ...

... you would need, ideally, to talk to one of them over the phone and obtain useful information to help make the job go well. Well, I would. Then 'circumstances' may, can and indeed do sabotage the most carefully planned affairs.

How you behave when doing the job can vary. I was at one wedding where the photographer was very quiet, slightly slow, very calm, gentle and got the job done in good time. I've been at another wedding where the photographer was the life and soul of the party and chivvied and shouted and joked and had everyone joining in and talking back, etc.. Then there was the slightly grumpy guy who got people moving, ordering them around, etc., pulling folk into position and so on. All three got the job done and turned in good, pro standard albums.