1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy Needs advice on wedding photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by swan lover, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

As a wedding guest, I never realised before that I was entitled to 6 10x8 prints - there will be a good few couples I'll be phoning up to demand my prints! ;)

2. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

the least of your worries is what prints they want - you need to asking formal / casual / both - also leave the tripod at home you won't need it

Fen asked

What camera and lenses you planning on using?

3. BarbaraL

BarbaraL Well-Known Member

Just my twopennys worth. Have you been to the church looked at the setting in there and asked the vicar when and where you can take your pics..."changing of vows/on the alter/ while he is "talking"..the throwing of confettioutside of the church some vicars /priests can be very strict about these things...I know all these things sound like a pain.
    I know you say this is a freebe for family but its still the most important day of their lives and you can't go back and do it again the next day if you get it wrong...good luck ..

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think the point Thornrider is making is that both photographer and Happy Couple have to be absolutely clear about what's included and what ain't, and that's extremely good advice. A couple of the weddings I've done have been as gifts to the couples concerned - on both occasions, I did an album and several prints FOC for them, but charged family members for other prints. I actually broke even on my sister's wedding, and turned a small profit on my brother-in-law's as a result, which came as a nice surprise. ;)

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

presumably these were not the same happy couple....or didn't you like him...or was it their later weddings....:eek:

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed not. B-I-L = wife's brother, in this case. They're still married after 15 years, my sister is sadly widowed and hasn't remarried.

8. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

I would strongly suggest visiting the venue and talking to the owner/event manager/vicar etc. Be as nice as you can to them and hopefully they will be more willing to let you go about your business 'as you want'.

I have had experience of this at weddings where I've been allowed to move up and around the alter, sitting right behind the alter, sat next to the choir at the front of the church etc, all of which I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have been allowed to do had I not been able been able to get friendly with the event staff (vicars etc).

The key thing for me is to be as close as you can, without being intrusive, people don't want to see you, clicking away.

9. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Hello Fen, I'll be using Canon EOS400d with Sigma 18-125

10. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Thank you all who replied I'm taking in everything your telling me

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

For a first wedding - esp. on digital - I agree about tripod but if there's a 2nd & 3rd they can be useful. I used one from the outset but later didn't bother.

Pros have been/are(?) split on tripods for weddings - don't know % - and I suspect some who used them, no longer do so in the digital age. Coverage styles have changed somewhat with more informal 'on the move' pictures.

I would urge SwanLover to use just one lens. He will not have time to ferret around in a bag for a lens change and it is not necessary with a mid range zoom or a standard prime.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

SUGGESTED WEDDING SHOTS

At the Bride’s leaving address:
    Bride, Bridesmaids & Flower Girl, Bride with Bridesmaids & Flower Girl, Parents, Bride with parents, individually & together, Mother helping bride with jewellery/veil, Father having button hole 'adjusted, etc.

At the church, wedding venue:
    Groom, Best Man & Groomsmen, Groom with Best Man & Groomsmen, G & BM checking watch,
    Bride arriving, with Bridal party at church door, walking down aisle, Ditto with Vicar in centre of Church door

In church/venue:
    Exchange of rings, Couple kissing, {if permitted when pronounced man & wife}, Couple with Register, Couple walking down aisle, Couple in doorway from inside w/couple turned outwards but looking back over shoulders to photographer

LIST OF PHOTOGRAPHS TO BE TAKEN POST-CEREMONY, TIME PERMITTING
    At the church/venue doorway:
    Couple
    Couple plus attendants
    Couple plus both sets of parents
    If you have time, take couple back into church for a window shot
    Returning outside:
    Confetti {location depending on clergy/caretaker requirements – may need to be away from doorways, you may even be asked to do it inside - it can happen!}
    Couple with car, outside, then inside car, squeezed together but not crushing – watch out for clothing (photographer on front seat or shooting through car door window) couple look at camera, at each other, then kiss. Flash needed here almost for certain.

At the reception venue:
    Couple with car, venue in background
    Couple with cake {before guests enter dining area}

GROUP SHOTS
    Couple with 1) Bride’s immediate family, 2) with aunts and uncles, 3) with cousins
    Couple with 1) Groom’s immediate family including grandparents, 2) with aunts, uncles and cousins together

Group shot with all friends

Couple with Bridesmaids, Page Boys, Best Man and Ushers

The list given above would create a worthwhile album, although in a traditional late-ish twentieth century style. That's the formal stuff out of the way. You can mix informal pics into the above schedule although it helps to be a (relatively) experienced photographer to do it.

Bearing in mind that you are a first timer (and probably not under pressure to keep your shot rate up!), I would strongly recommend working through the list and leaving it at that BUT as it's your niece's wedding, you should have plenty of opportunities to discuss it, amend it as necessary and work on something of a game plan for the day.
    Olybacker 17/4/2013

13. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Argh! Weddings!! Run!!! lol
    Steps are useful, the bride can stand on them if she's a little on the vertically challenged side ;)

Just done another wedding this Saturday gone, registry offices are quite accommodating but it's polite to have a word with the registrar beforehand about where they'd prefer you to stand. I was literally next to the registrar and snapped away quite merrily right through the proceedings - including exchanging of rings and signing the book (some only allow a mock up afterwards).
    Being nervous is natural, it's healthy and keeps you on your toes.
    My equipment is ancient by modern standards. An old Nikon D1x with a Tokina 12-24 serves for indoor shots. A Metz 45 CL-4 with Stofen took care of the lighting and gave nice fill in outside. That's my usual setup. An 18-70 came in later on at the reception.

The night before I make sure everything is charged up, memory cards are ready (and one is fitted in the camera..) Spare camera is ready just in case..

My mindset is you are the photographer, you are doing a job. Rather than you are with the guests watching it all happen. Get in the moment, enjoy yourself but professionally. If you're confident and you show it, it rubs off and people relax around you.

Sometimes yiu have to be a bit cheeky at the reception, some folks hate having their picture taken - had a few of those and a '.. Now now, no running off. Everyone is included' usually works with a grin.

If the couple are getting it done for free or next to nowt and know what they are going to expect then I'm sure they will be thrilled with a good set of pictures.

14. southonline

even when I was using my old rollei it never went on a tripod and then I was working to 24-36 photo weddings so every shot had to count - I did a few with SLR when I was still getting paid for it and my last wedding was about 2 years and even then never used a tripod

Good list of photo the only thing I would add, or at least what I did

After couple with parents I would not break that grouping up, after all they are most important and would then start feeding into it, best man, bride maids, other relations, then a last group of everyone .... Once that was done some more with just the couple

15. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

thank you for this list Olybacker, I shall put it togood use!

16. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

To all who have replied to this thread I would like to say a big thank you, and sincere apologies to all whom I have not replied to, circumstances after I posted mean I can read all and then have been called away, I'm noting what has been written and all advice is appreciated!

17. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Don't forget to take yer lens cap off... ;)

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Normally proto wedding photographers asking for advice get short shrift here but you have come across as the friendly, beneficent (or is that benevolent) uncle that got lumbered. All the advice is well meant but I am sure that the occasion is already giving you some stress. I suggest that if you are fairly 'well off', or better still, 'stinking rich', you just give your niece a good package from a local professional with a good record. Agree with her, or him as the case may be, that you can still take some 'snaps' to capture the candid moments (page boys picking their noses, or bridesmaids scratching their bottoms to take two popular examples). With someone else getting the real shots and doing the album and video you could enjoy the event.

19. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Thank you Learning and everyone for the advice and leads, I'm not well off and neither is my niece, so I'm roped in as Mr reliable to do the photography. thank you all

20. southonline

sorry, but try the search feature here theres been so many discussions on this subject - then when you have a specific question post that

Oh .......welcome :cool: