1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy Needs advice on wedding photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by swan lover, Apr 13, 2013.

1. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

New member just joined hope someone can help, my niece is getting married in August and due to her finances has ''roped'' me to do the photography, I don't mind but some advice would be grateful, she is much shorter than her husband to be, I believe the venue has steps if its of help thank you all.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Buy a 3-tread aluminium step ladder - a really useful accessory - if you do not already have one.

Check out some other Threads on the AP Forums where weddings have been enquired about or discussed. (Don't be put off by negative talk.) There is some useful advice already in there.

Let us know what camera/flash kit you have, the venue(s) and timings.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I rather think this is meant as a useful accessory for the photographer to stand on. A bit of height for the photographer can help with group portraits.

Aside from the wedding aspects I'd suggest taking some practice portraits if you think that posing the couple will be difficult on the day. They are getting wed to each other so the difference in height is a fact!

4. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

if you've never taken a wedding before the best thing you can do is look at other wedding photographers and work out the photos you are going to be taking so you have a plan

Do the couple want candid type shots? ...if so maybe ask another friend to walk around taking snaps

Do the couple want formal photos? if so, research on wedding groups as its not just a case of getting everyone into a group and saying "smile"

Taking a wedding is a lot of responsibility and just because you can find your way around a camera control and organising a wedding group is not easy ...in fact where they know you probably 10x harder!!

If you can and you have the time try to find a local wedding and assuming they professional watch what he does as this will give you a start

5. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

The commercial aspect needs thinking about.

What will you let them have - all photos you took on a CD rather than all the hassle about ordering prints ? The CD idea seems to go down well with people I know who have found commercial copyright a pain with pros.

6. 0lybacker

Think this one is a freebie. :)

7. 0lybacker

Not necessarily!

Actually yes, the ladder is great for big groups in that it enables faces to be seen. It is good for other things as well: eliminating unfortunate skies or backgrounds, shooting perspective distorted shots (useful for height differences ;)) and can come in handy for a fun pic with short Bride using ladder to kiss Groom's cheek. :D

I will give a posing tip or two after I've had a bracing cuppa, a day away from wretched computers messed up by recent Microsoft changes and a couple of good nights' sleep!

8. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I did weddings for 6 years and never used a step ladder although being able to hold your camera at arms length above your head was handy ...gotta love the old twin lens rollei...

But since my old days of doing weddings (20 yrs ago) I have taken a couple for friends with SLR's and didn't need steps as normally theres something around that you can stand on plus if you arrange the group correctly even at the same level you can get a lot of people into the frame and be seen

9. wave

wave Well-Known Member

hi first thing for get the height problem it doesnt bother them. next go and recy the the venue and the church look ay where the light will be for your shots, next think about bad weather what is your back up plane.
    i would look at the dgrin site at there wedding section
    if you dont have one get a powerful external flash
    good luck

10. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

I appreciate all the advice passed and will do my best to put into practice before the day, thank you all who have replied

11. 0lybacker

To be of more full help I will need the answers to the questions posed in my first reply. One more to add now: what sort of dress will the Bride be wearing. Full length and very full or pencil slim or somewhere in between. Traditional or modern?

In the meantime, the problem of height differences can be mitigated by careful posing. Try this yourself at home. Stand at your tallest, feet together. Then, move your feet slightly apart. Extend your right foot forward. Rotate your left foot forty-five degrees to left and bend the knee slightly. Bend the right knee ever so slightly and - if you are like me - you will be instantly six inches or more shorter. This is one thing you need to teach the Groom in advance.

If the Bride is wearing a very full, full-length dress you can loose a few more inches by getting the Groom to extend his left leg and bend it more while it is hidden by the dress. Groom should be on Bride's r/h side, btw, for formal shots.

By bringing the Bride slightly forward of the Groom in the formal shots and by you positioning camera slightly right of centre (where you would normally be) and keeping the camera at Bride's waist height, you can also make her appear taller than she is in relation to the Groom. Lens zoom setting should be at the equivalent of 50mm/80mm on 135/120 formats, respectively.

Now you can see why wedding photographers liked medium format with waist level viewfinders! :)

Depending on venue you may be able to also make use of topography - hence my request for info. Short description of venues would be extra helpful.

12. thornrider

Hey that's good. 6 off 10x8 prints for each of 150 wedding guests + an album of 100 prints for the bride and groom + identical copy of this for the brides mother and the grooms mother + random prints for work colleagues + selection of say 3 8x6 prints for each of five aunties and uncles in Australia who couldn't get to the wedding + framed photos of themselves and the bride and groom for the bridesmaids + mini album for each of the ushers.

Then if it all goes well there's the first christening to do - since the OP was so generous.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Ignoring the need for a ladder (I never used one when I used to do weddings) I would ask what equipment you have?

You might need to buy/hire lenses or flash to be able to do the job.

14. thornrider

What I mean by this is - how are you going to output your results - where do you stop - and do the bride and groom know this?

15. 0lybacker

Well, for me it was a most used accessory.

Venues can dictate such need: I didn't always get to work at smart churches with large grounds or smart hotels! :rolleyes:;)

16. 0lybacker

Cor! That's the sort of order only the £5K club get!! :D

17. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

Thank you everyone who has answered, I have a Nissin Di 466 flash gun plus a tripod and I will be in discussion with my Niece as to what she requires, album or Cd I think form the hints a Album, the venue I shall look at closer to the time with her and the groom, thank you all it is much appreciated

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Avoid hiring kit. You need to be familiar with what you are using. If you borrow a backup camera make sure that you can use it.
    Hopefully the best man is a confidant type and doesn't get pissed. He could be your biggest asset. If he seems like a prat then get someone else known to the bride and groom who has good 'presence'. A good assistant to deal with people is so useful if you are better at dealing with technology.

19. swan lover

swan lover Active Member

I shall contact my niece to see what kind of pictures etc they want, I shall check rest of forum as you have advised, again thank you all for your help and advice, my wife will be of great help she can arrange people etc

20. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Be careful, Wedding Albums are expensive. Especially if you want one that looks decent AND add the cost of the photo printing and you're looking at a couple of hundred quid. I would suggest giving them a CD of images so they can then print what they want and put them in an album that they want.

The flash gun is not the main piece of equipment... If you are outside you'll be using it as a fill-in and inside the church you won't be allowed to use it.

More importantly... What camera and lenses you planning on using?