1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Gallery - coming soon

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Dear all.

After a bit of a false-start (mobile phone cameras will never catch-on :D) our new Snapper’s Diary feature has proved pretty popular – especially with a certain forum member from Vancouver who has submitted about 10 excellent snaps so far. As I can only run 1 shot a week in the magazine I’m going to set-up a new gallery to show all the other fine images that didn’t quite make it.

I hope to get this going over next weekend, so there’ll be something nice for you all on Monday morning. I’ll load images by the month, and I’ll try to include all those that have been sent in. The gallery will be in the Gallery section of the site (oddly enough) and you will be able to leave comments on each picture. Fingers crossed!

Snapper’s Diary is a feature within the magazine news pages where we show what you have been up to this week. The pictures can be of anything, from benches in Bromley to bottoms in Boston. Send us pictures of where you’ve been, a funny situation, a new purchase, a work of art or just a nice snap.

Email entries to amateurphotographer@ipcmedia.com or post them to the usual address. We need the picture, your name and address, the story behind the shot and what you took it on.

damien demolder

For more B's see below: Bettina's Cat, Mr_Geoff's M6 Bench and Ben Chism's Baby

[​IMG]

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

How about Boston bottoms on Bromley benches!!

3. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Bl**dy brilliant! ;)

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: New Gallery - coming soon ..Speaking of B's; here's a....

...Bottom in B&W ;)

Morning all,

:)

Jack

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Is that KM again?

6. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Cute Jack, very cute indeed. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I am not convinced however that standard (Titanic??) Boston bottoms would actually fit onto a standard British bench.

7. Done_rundleCams

Morning David,

I wish it were :( so I, too, could pick up a K10D ;) amongst other goodies ....like
    a nice long holiday to the UK :D.

Cheers,

Jack

8. Done_rundleCams

:)

Morning Sam,

It might not...fit....but, allegedly, half the fun is trying ;) and, of course,
    trying again :rolleyes:.

Cheers,

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

...when, of course, I remember to attach the photo's :eek: :eek: ......... :rolleyes:

Morning Damien,

Thanks for the head's up :) and the situation has been rectified :D.

Cheers,

Jack

10. Almark

Almark Well-Known Member

Another new gallery?

What about the promised Galleries for students of AP Dip and Digital Imaging Courses? Both student communities have done their own thing - while waiting for promised AP Galleries.

Considering that each student has paid over £250 for their course, surely you as the AP Editor can get the 'promised galleries' up and running?

AND an explanation as to why it has taken so long!

Damien, please get this sorted. I find it rich that you are talking about a new gallery when AP continues to fail to provide paying students with their gallery.

11. Damien_Demolder

I appreciate your frustration Mark – and I share it.
    Our on-line facility is a part of a company-wide program, which means introducing new features is very difficult. The company (IPC Media) does not yet have an application for self-loading user galleries, which is why the SPI cannot have one. I know Laura has been asking for one, and I was also pushing for this when I was part of the school.

The galleries we have on this site – including the Snapper’s Diary one that I am in the process of creating – are fed, by hand, by an administrator. That means I have to copy emailed images to my desktop, reformat them, reformat the captions and text, and then load each element into a content management system to load it on to the site. It is extremely time consuming and is not a practical solution for galleries with a high turn over.

If this makes you think our web software was designed by cavemen you are getting the right picture.

As the AP editor I don’t actually have any control over the way the SPI is run and only limited influence over the construct of the AP website. We are improving the website, and new features are being added all the time. There is a rebuild scheduled for this year, but we have to wait until a few other magazines get theirs done first.

Again, I appreciate your frustration and I am doing what I can to make these pages better. Me building a Snapper’s Diary gallery will have no impact on whether the SPI is able to introduce one for its students.

I hope this helps.

damien demolder

12. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

I was thinking something similar Mark, but had 'chickened out' of saying it. :-( Lisa.

13. Done_rundleCams

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Afternoon Damien,

Wow...I didn't think it was such an ordeal :eek: .. ...so maybe I will limit
    my submissions to three (3) a week and would it be easier (for you) for them to be all
    at once (say on a Sunday evening/night) for spread out over a few days??

Cheers and have a restful weekend :)

Jack

14. Damien_Demolder

Howz about you send in the whole years worth in one go then I could take a couple o weeks out to load them up and then have the rest of the year off :D

I'm making this gallery because the pictures will be fun - and I can. I can't do it for SPI and the SPI students can't do it for themselves.

It will get fixed - just I don't know when.

damien

15. Almark

Almark Well-Known Member

Damien,

Thank you for your detailed reply. Clearly your hands are tied. Hopefully it will get done sooner rather than later. In the meantime I will volunteer and create and host a gallery for the SPI Digital Imaging students. (The Dip folks already have theirs up and running).

16. Almark

Almark Well-Known Member

Damien

Here is the link for the SPI Digital Imaging Gallery, mentioned above. I just have to get updates from the students. I assume mo one will mind me using the logos and so on, seeing as they link back to the respective source sites.

17. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Personally, I'd hold off on that Mark.

As generous as it is there are commercial, brand & legal aspects to be considered. Third party hosting for IPC brands has been halted by IPC in the past. I should know, I fell foul of it trying to help out myself once - had a memo from the MD telling me, in no uncertain terms, to terminate the project immediately.

I'd wait until you get the go-ahead, or otherwise.

18. Almark

Almark Well-Known Member

Oops! Thanks for the heads up, I will take the images off.

19. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Sorry Mark, I didn't mean for you to pull the plug altogether. If your fellow students are happy for you to host their images, as a collective gallery, that'd be something between you as individuals. The images belong to each of you and you can do what you wish with them. Likewise saying you're on the course can't be a problem either, it's true after all.

It was just the use of IPC/AP branding, etc., I would be wary of. I think it's more the idea that it could be misconstrued as an 'official' site/gallery that would prove problematic - but there are ways and means of ensuring that's not the case, unofficially. ;)

Perhaps an email or PM to Damien might be useful for clarification.