1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Editor: an introduction

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Nigel_Atherton, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's great news.
    I look for inspiration and also encouragement to go forward with my photography. Sometimes photography can feel a lonesome pursuit and to feel you can aspire to the level of someone else's work, or just have that nice feeling that you are going the same way, is so comforting.
    I'm not looking for compliments, just a shared feeling that I'm not weird! :)
    Kate

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I was wondering why I couldn't Moderate posts any more! :mad:

3. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Congratulations Nigel & welcome

I have really enjoyed the magazine under Damo's stewardship, but have never been one who associates change with badness.

So I look forward to seeing what you can do to make my favorite photo mag even better.

:D

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Cheers, that will do me!

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

He got as far north as Southwell Minster in Notts a year or so ago.

6. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Yeah, he mentioned that to me when I met him in October (I'm from Notts/Leicestershire/Lincolnshire - no one is really sure, our village is on the border of all three).

As a side note, I was shocked to see that Southwell Minster charge £5 for photo permits these days - I only had to pay £2 for a photo pass in St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh.

Andy

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, but St Giles hasn't been a cathedral since 1689, whereas Southwell Minster still is. ;)

8. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Good point :)

And at least they both allow photography - unlike St Pauls Cathedral in London.

Andy

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A Df is going a bit far but if a retro Nikon is what you want how about this? It even has cue cards for taking better photos!
    [​IMG]

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

Seconded. This to me is the strength of AP: not just showcasing excellent photography but also encouraging people to think about what they photograph and why they photograph it. When I started out, I tried to emulate the photographers I admired: the usual suspects such as Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson. But I soon realized:

(1) It's probably not possible to emulate both AA and HCB at the same time.

(2) Equipment and technique matter. AA couldn't easily have shot his landscapes with a Leica, nor HCB his pictures with an 8x10.

(3) It's almost invariably best to photograph what interests you rather than what you think ought to interest you.

As for the "refresh", well, it's a pity that George Bernard Shaw died. It would be good to get him writing for the magazine again: "“A photographer is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity.” Admittedly that one was in Camera Work (for which he also wrote) but perhaps someone could search the AP archives to see if GBS's articles could be mined or even re-run.

Cheers,

Roger

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Funny that, because he bought me a Canon EOS5d Mkiii and said that he had promised everyone a new camera in due course from magazine funds.

12. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

As with most things in life you can lean a lot from the past and those are the articles which bring most enjoyment to me.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The thing that's always appealed to me about AP is the variety; variety and intelligence of writing. Er, the two things that have always appealed to me about AP are the variety and intelligence of writing, and the pictures. Er, the three things...

I like the fact that there's a broad range of stuff covered - photographers old and new, new gear tests, old gear features, "how I took it" features, interviews - it's far more interesting than any other photo mag, and never patronises the readership - that's not to say that there's not stuff for beginners, merely that it assumes a reasonably intelligent audience, which is nice. I like the sense of continuity, and evolution rather than revlution when things change. When I started reading the mag, there was Spillman, Wakefield and Blackman - now we have Newman and Hicks, having been through Bell and Crawley. Writers of real substance and authority in their various areas. The technical team has always been authoritative. At the end of the day, it's always been a serious but not pompous read that encourages thought about photography, and encourages photography itself. What I want is for that to continue - a blend of things that capture my interest and fire my passion for all things photographic.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Don't bother to come in again! :p:D

15. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I like the cartoons and the picture I can colour in with my crayons... errr... :p

16. hartley353

hartley353 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Nigel on the new post. I am sure you wont let us down. As the new leader you are entitled to make changes, but please not to many and not to Quickly.
    Kind Regards Mike.

17. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Don't worry, any changes that we do make will reflect the qualities and values that have been talked about here.

18. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I like that idea. I'll look into it.

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, most inconsiderate of him dying 63 years ago. I mean, he would only be 157 years old now. I loved his wit, but really? Pre-1950 pearls of wisdom? I wait to see...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  20. NickLeon

NickLeon Member

This is exactly what I was thinking but probably wouldn't have put it so well. Many thanks to DD, who has done such a good job, and good luck to Nigel.