1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Editor: an introduction

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Nigel_Atherton, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Dear forum users,

I'd like to introduce myself. As Group Editor I have just taken over responsibility for AP, as well as What Digital Camera. Long term readers may recognise my name as the former Technique and Features Editor at AP, where I worked from 1994 till 2001, before becoming the Editor of WDC.

I'd like to reassure everyone that there are no plans whatsoever to merge the two magazines, as they are both aimed at quite different audiences. WDC will continue to be a buying guide for the more casual or novice hobbyist, as well the mass market consumer, while AP will continue to focus on the very best in photography – both equipment and image-making – for the discerning, dedicated enthusiast. It will continue to cover both film and digital, and remain weekly.

What IS happening is that the two editorial teams will be more integrated, so there will be a single technical hub, reducing the amount of duplication across the portfolio so that we can allocate more resources to technique, and to our digital platforms. Although I will retain responsibility for WDC, my main focus will be on AP.

Damien and I have been friends for over 20 years and will continue to be so. He has done a great job as Editor of AP and will retain his involvement in the magazine as a key contributor for as long as he wants to. I'm well aware of the enormous affection and esteem in which AP is held by its readers, and hope to be as good a custodian as he has been.

Nigel Atherton

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Nigel. Good luck in the new post. Damien used to take us all out for a pint and a curry by the way. ;)

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

He even ventured outside London now and again ;)

(He did, didn't he :confused: :p)

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

More often than he took us Mods out I bet :D

5. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

Welcome and good luck some big boots to fill

Ps . He secretly used to send new members a free dslr for them to use honest :)

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I did get to use a new DSLR 10 days or so ago courtesy of AP, unfortunately they asked for it back at the end of the day. I am looking forward to that curry :)

7. Nigel_Atherton

Thanks everyone. Actually I heard that it's traditional for everyone in the forum to buy the new editor a present. The Nikon Df looks pretty tempting, if anyone is feeling generous...

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Damo was happy with the empty box for a Pronea - and we asked him to pass it on to you... ;)

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hallo and welcome.

The present is our company as you are buying us a nosh. [can't eat curries any more]

10. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome and thanks for introducing yourself.

I will be honest it did alarm me to read of this major change to the long history of AP makeup.

But you have lowered my concerns about the future of a much loved magazine which has been a part of my whole photography life since 1981.

Certainly I have enjoyed how Mr DD has put the magazine together each week. I hope we don't see too much sudden change. Of course there might be areas you feel could do with being refreshed.

I also hope you will join in on here as much as your duties allow. Mr DD always drop by and put a point of view across.

He even went into the Appraisal Gallery a few time LOL

He will be missed so I do hope he can pop up in the magazine from time to time. But all good things do end.

I wish you good luck in running AP and Mr DD a bright future on whatever path he find for himself.

11. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

You mean he got as far as Luton!

12. Nigel_Atherton

Thanks. There will be no major changes immediately but we will be embarking on a long overdue refresh in the first half of next year. But before we do we'll be consulting widely with readers on what they like best and least, and what people want to see more and less of, and you're welcome to post your thoughts on the forum.

I'll come on here as much as I can but with my group role it probably won't be as often as Damien did.

13. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

No major changes immediately but a long overdue refresh? Er on what exactly?

The reason I subscribe to AP at the moment is because the magazine is producing the content I want already, no refresh required.

So in fact you are going to change what the current AP is, just not yet.

14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Could I just point out that Nigel was with AP when I joined.

Nigel will be the fourth AP Editor that I have worked with in that time. The AP team expands. AP continues, every week.

As for my forum incarnation I'm now on my second regeneration. I was banned previously by an over zealous moderator ;)

Regards
    m

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Indeed. What I think is the best possible indication of Nigel's professionalism is the fact that as such an AP man at heart, he's managed to steer WDC in a separate, WDC, direction. I've actually had a couple of dicussions with him on the difference between the two titles (and indeed their websites, readers and forum members) over the years (last time was earlier this year), and I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't permit, never mind put in place, a change to the fundamental character and nature of the mag.

Or crayoned for... ;)

No such thing, is there? ;)

16. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Not any more ;)

m

17. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

I think their has been a mistake with the post I'm still waiting to receive my dslr :confused:

18. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Nigel, thanks for taking the time to come on to the forum and put our minds at rest. Isn't it funny that when change is announced we all fear the worst. I wish you all the best and hope you're not too cream crackered to enjoy it.
    Dean.

19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Welcome Nigel, most people my age never except changes very easy! So the best of luck with the new position, and I do hope that A.P does not change into a instruction book on how to use your camera and how to edit your pictures to beyond recognition......

20. Nigel_Atherton

It may reassure you to know that my personal favourite articles in AP are the in-depth interviews with photographers, and features such as Photo Insight, which few other magazines do, but which are more inspiring, thought provoking and provide a deeper understanding than the more superficial articles you often get elsewhere. AP does that better than anyone else and will absolutely continue to do so.