1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New desktop

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi, I know this is really not too much to do with Pentax, but last week my six year old DELL suffered a terminal hard drive failure. I had been having problems with slow screen regeneration and the odd report about memory addresses that could not be read, so I was aware things were not good. Fortunately, I had backed up my data files, both work and hobby, but I lost all of my programs.

It took about four days to re install everything and get the configurations setting how I had it before, but now I am back on line.

The new machine is WIN 7 with a solid state C:\ drive and plenty of RAM, so at last I can make the most of CS6 and the NIK package. With Adobe now on CC (Cloud Cuckoo?) I am going no further with it.

If any of you are a bit hap hazard about backing up, take a warning from me, because the failure was sudden, it just would not fire up. No second chances. :(

By the way, I have had to re calibrate my screen, which hadn't been done for several months (Lazy or too busy?) but I had not appreciated that it had been slowly drifting and some of my latest creations have had to be revisited. Another little gem to remember now!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Thank God, if you'll pardon the expression.

3. Monobod

Yes indeed. Now I am struggling with the learning curve for Office 2013 as opposed to Office 2003, which was a bit more down to earth, especially Excel.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth! The current version of Office with the stupid ribbon rather than the old toolbars is over automated and user unfreindly. I'd much rather go back to the older versions...

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well no, it's not the truth actually. Much to my surprise, the new way of working is far easier and quicker now I'm used to it, and I would NEVER go back.

6. Monobod

I find it annoying to have to click on the 'menu' tabs to move to each section before finding the control button I want, such as adding box lines around selected cells. Before it was all on the same layout. Simply put, one has to remember under which section the thing you want sits, before it was all there in front of you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Your truth is your truth, my truth is mine.....;)

In the old system I had the toolbars customised to present application specific controls according to the file open, with the new style I have not been able to acheive anything like the same level of control meaning I have to do everything the hard way.

8. Monobod

There must be a few geeks at Microsoft who spent their entire time dreaming up changes for the sake of it. They do not live in the real world, where real people just want to get on with their work, rather than having to plough through streams of new stuff, that in the end, does just the same thing. Often, the changes are for the worse in my opinion. By all means add functionality, but how about offering a 'classic' mode for those of us who do not want the changes.

AutoCAD does this......

Perhaps I'm asking for a digital camera that also takes film! ;)

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No I think it's a film camera that takes digital.....

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

There is Nigel ... it's a scanner ;)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

Would you believe my luck, the technician who built my new computer has installed the 32 bit version of WIN 7 instead of the 64 bit. It can only see 3.5 of the 16 Gb of RAM.

They are collecting it tomorrow to re build it and then I will have to re install all of my software again. That means setting up configurations for everything too.

Wow, a simple (?) error by him, but a massive headache for me.....

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

App Ell ;)

Jack