1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by John_K, Jun 14, 2007.

1. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I recently bought a new laptop with Vista.

Doesn't seem to be any problems and it doesn't seem to work much differently from XP (Changes appear to be mostly cosmetic to the non techie user). It even came with Elements pre-installed (The fact that I went out and purchased it a month earlier is neither here nor there! :mad:) and when I first went to run it, it told me it was not compatible with Vista, but it directed me to where I could download the relevant patch and all was well!

On the debate of self build v off the shelf - Self build ain't much good if you don't know how to (Which the vast majority of the PC buying population don't) and especially if you're a laptop user! ;)

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

We bought a new PC from Time about 10 years ago, never had a problem with it.
    We then bought a PC to replace it from Tiny - most people would laugh at that too - but it has only just given grief and has had to be replaced although I have subsequently re-installed Win98SE back onto it and it's as good as new again (and serving as a doorstop) - it could cope with internet access, running as a main computer for a wireless network and would run msn chat for the kids with multiple windows open.
    Its replacement has Vista - best way to see if the OP's existing hardware would be compatible is to visit the websites for the hardware manufacturers. Go to the hardware support pages and see what they say about Vista. In my case I got a good deal and the old scanner wasn't required as I got a combined new printer and scanner - driver had to be downloaded from the internet. The only problem I had with incompatibility was the webcam, which meant going out and buying a new one - which works much better in the dim lighting of the corner of our lounge anyway