1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by John_K, Jun 14, 2007.

1. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

I need a new computer but the ones available 'off the shelf' and in my price range all have Windows VISTA operating system.

I have heard stories about older items which I have been happily using on my XP system for years may present compatability issues and either have to be replaced or new software obtained for them to work..

These items include a Nikon Coolscan 4 film scanner, Canon 9900F flatbed scanner, Grafire board, Epson 1290S and 1160 A3 printers.

Has anyone any information whether the items will be compatible.

On the other hand I could have a custom made job using my XP disc and know that the other hardware will work, but they do not come cheap. Unless there is someone out there who makes them at a reasonable price.

Also I will not need the 2nd system to have Internet Access as it will be used only for imaging and typing letters.

Any advice will be welcome

2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I think Dell are offering XP as an option.

3. derkit

derkit Well-Known Member

I've bought 3 laptops on behalf of family members and friends since the end of January - all around £350-500 mark.

Unfortunately, all came with a version of Vista on. I'm about 80 miles away from my family and as I have never used Vista before and don't really have the time to learn how it all works, I simply put XP onto all of the laptops - now, any problems I can resolve it over the phone (or at least have a better idea of how to!)

4. Moos3h

Moos3h Well-Known Member

It's a tricky one, the BIG manufacturers are certainly pushing Vista on people and overall I think it's a touch early.

I've had my copy of Vista ever since Beta stage (thanks to my employer) and support for older hardware/software has got much better and, I'm sure, will continue to as manufacturers re-write drivers etc.

That said? If all works well on XP, that's what I'd do.

I've built a dozen machines recently, asked people what they want in terms of OS and put that on - it's not always the case that newer is better, and in fact with Operating Systems on critical PC's, it is sometimes a very good idea to stick with what you know. This is why there's still designers out there using OS 9, as their apps work perfectly well, their machines work perfectly well, so their argument is 'why change'?

If price is an issue, then if you hold a valid XP license, you can get a very tasty dual core PC built for around the £350 mark, which will be as future-proof as any and well up to the job for your intended work. Thanks to falls in the price of RAM, it's never been cheaper to stuff your machine with it!

Cheers,
    James

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Have you ever thought about doing a `self build`.
    This may seem very daunting at first, but after you have done it you get a sense of achievement.

You will need these parts .
    case, motherboard, cpu with fan, memory, hard drive(s), cd/dvd rom, cd/dvd writer, sound card, graphics card, mouse, keyboard and monitor.These can be found at various places but I use www.ebuyer.com for mine.

AS for Vista, a lot of things are still `driverless` at the moment, but its only a matter of time, but I would wait until Vista comes out with a service pack before investing to get rid of some bugs.

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I built many of my computers over tha past few years and those for my wife as well. However, prices of ready-built PCs have dropped so much (and the specification gone up) that's just as cheap, if not cheaper, to get an off-the-shelf PC from somewhere. In fact, when my wife last upgraded, she bought a Dell over the Web for cheaper than I could have put one together from low-cost parts (and it saved me the time of having to build it and set it up).

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would agree. I've not built a machine from scratch for some years now, although I do upgrade components from time to time (and often cascade them down through other machines).

8. Gordon_McGeachie

One problem with buying an off the shelf pc is that the chances are the software on it is older versions of what you are running on your present pc. This means that you would have to uninstall them and install the newer versions.

You then have the re-install discs that come with it, if you have to redo your pc, then you will have it all to do again.

Another advantage of self build is that you get in it what you want in it and not what the makers think you need.

9. photojunkie

photojunkie Well-Known Member

Yes Dell are still offering machines that run on Windows XP. It's an option on nearly every PC or Laptop when you go to the configure new PC page. I've just bought a laptop off them and decided to stick to XP for the time being.
    Got a very good deal too ;)

10. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

You could always go to the websites of the manufacturers of the items in question and see if there are any Vista drivers.

11. Lounge Lizard

I don't follow. Usually the reverse I find. If I have to install XP from my original CD then I have all the online updates and re-booting to contend with. The same for the virus checker. If the machine comes ready installed then it is fairly up-to-date. As for the rest of the software, I would only buy the PC with an OS anyway - I'd still have to install Office, Photoshop and anything else since there is no point in paying extra for a license I already own.

Building a PC from scratch, configuring the disc and installing an OS takes me a few hours and if it doesn't save me anything, that time is better spent doing something else.

12. Gordon_McGeachie

I am speaking from experience, I had a machine from Time which had older versions of software pre installed on it that I had on my existing machine, this caused me to `remove` the old and `add` the new. What I am trying to say is that when you build a pc you put on what you want on and it only takes me 1.5-2 hours to build a pc from scratch and install windows xp pro and as for updates, with a fast internet connection is that really a problem?, this can be done while you are away from your pc doing something else.

13. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

[Sherlock mode]Ahaaaaa[/Sherlock mode]

Say no more! :D :D :D

14. Gordon_McGeachie

I know tell me about it. That was the biggest mistake I have made since getting into computers, what I do now is build my own, no stupid `master image ` discs to contend with which has software on I dont want/need.

15. derkit

derkit Well-Known Member

Rather than a new computer off the shelf from Dell/PC World, I bought a barebones PC from Novatech (Bristol and Portsmouth I think) and that still allowed me the customisation and setting up of OS of my choice for about £160.

16. Lounge Lizard

Yep - there's the cause of your problems. Worst reputation for quality and support. Now don't tar all other makes of pre-assembled PCs with the same brush. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

You have a Time machine ;) ;) :D

18. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Whenever you download the drivers and whatsnots burn it onto the CD so that in the future you won't have to download it again.

Edit: Browse the internet and download an useful software called "c't Offline Update 3.2" which collect all the updates and you can create the image of all the Microsoft XP's updates onto CD and it only need TWO reboot after running the CD. Save hours of shutting down and restarting boots... Worth a look!

19. Gordon_McGeachie

I agree with the comments made about Time computers, if only I knew then what I knew shortly afterwards and also I am not tarring other makes at all.

20. robc

robc Well-Known Member

Mac's run Windows XP - if you still have the install disks.