1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New camera..not an easy decision- help!!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Leahlj, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Leahlj

Leahlj New Member

Good evening from Bristol in the UK,

I currently have an a350 along with a Tamron 16-300mm lense which has been great for Macro, landscape, and portrait shots.

I am an amature photographer, as I have been made redundant, I am looking to upgrade my camera and spend more time on Photography.

There is so.much choice out there my head is spinning! After plenty of reading, and talking to people my decision is (I think!) Between the Sony a7ii or Sony a7rii along with the 24-240 sony lense?....which (again, I think! Is the nearest equivalent replacement to my current Tamron)..

Thinking the A7ii as although there is technically more aspects to the R, there price difference is quite big and I can save quite a bit? Around £600...

Or another alternative is to stick with a mount to retain my current lenses and get a cheaper Sony such as A77ii........

Any experience, or views that may help me decide appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Leah

2. Leahlj

Leahlj New Member

(Sorry about spelling..it's been a long day!)

3. Leahlj

Leahlj New Member

Also to note I have been offered £300 discount at a local shop only valid until tomorrow! STRESS!!

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The advantage of the A77 ii is that you can use your current lenses, along with the large number of used Minolta AF lenses that are around, some at very low prices, for what are in the main pretty decent lenses. The advantage of the A7 series is that they are more compact, but do lack the in-body stabilisation of the various SLTs including the A77. It is a difficult choice, which may be influenced by how much Sony A fit kit you have. In my experience the iq of the SLT cameras is excellent. All the choices use an electronic viewfinder, which after a DSLR you may find is not to your liking, this is the downside of many recent cameras, evfs are improving but imho are still way behind an optical finder in most shooting conditions.

5. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

The A7 mkII series all have in body stabilisation though the original mkI cameras lacked it.

When it comes to viewfinders then the A350's optical finder was quite small and tunnel like compared to the best optical finders and the EVF in any A7 or SLT camera will give a much larger view than the OVF in the A350.
    Leah should try an EVF (ideally on one of the camera's being considered) as some people can find them unusable for a variety of reasons and also read some of the many articles on the internet comparing the pros and cons of EVF vs OVF to see which if any is preferred.

Another option is that Leah could buy an A7 camera and use an LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adapter to use A-mount lenses on it.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I missed that one when I read the specs for these cameras at launch!:confused:

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Does redundancy and more time for photography imply getting on in years? That's my situation, and as your teeth grow longer you find yourself less able/willing to carry heavy photo gear around the place. The Sony full frame mirrorless cameras are light and compact, but, inevitably, the lenses are anything but.

I have a Sony NEX and a Canon 5D II, but find myself using the little Sony most of the time. This Xmas I did warp out the Canon, and, to be sure the results in good light are lovely, but the weight and bulk is something else. The crop frame CSCs by Sony, Fuji and Olympus are all worth a look, and they produce results suitable for all amateur and most professional purposes.

Some years ago I lugged my Canon gear up Hellvelyn and across Striding Edge, and that experience convinced me that I could do without the benefits of a full frame camera!

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I have the a7 and the a77 and if pushed to chose which one I like best. It will be the a77 but I do like the a7. Remember you can buy the LA-EA4 adaptor which will allow you to carry on using your existing lenses. I know some lenses are reported as not operating to their full extent. I'm sure with some research you'll find which ones do or don't.

Personally I want the a99 ii but can't no matter how I much I try to find the justification to buy one.