1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Camera, better picture's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by IvorCamera, Aug 8, 2017.

1. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I have not bought a new camera or second hand one for ages, that goes for lenses too, but I wonder if its just me but when I did have a new camera in my hands I always seem to take better pictures with it for the first few months then all of a sudden I get back to my norm and have to work hard for new subjects to photograph......whats people thoughts on this?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Seems a likely outcome to me. Human nature at work.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I must admit, when I bought my first DSLR after moving from a bridge camera, I was initially disappointed with the results. I soon came to realise, that it was just another sensor, and that I had to do some work too!

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Some cameras seem to have a life of their own, and are such a pleasure to use that do encourage "better pictures"

That I feel is true of my Fuji X30 compared to my new XE2, though with out any doubt, the XE2 creates higher technical quality.
    I have been trying to analyse why and will write something as a comparison at some time, that is when I have firmed up my conclusions rather more.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Probably just the feeling of having something fresh to use and explore. I must admit my motivation is rather low at present and I have sold or am selling quite a lot of kit. A new item bought for my Fuji has been here for eleven days and sits unused, partly down to the poor weather we have experienced here since it arrived, conditions have not really been conducive to testing it, let alone actually using. I did try it on the camera though just to check it was okay.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well over a year since its introduction and the Fuji XPro2 and XT2 are still selling at the issue prices (£1,349 & £138?). Why there hasn't been a cut in price beats me, but I'm happy with my XPro1 and don't feel any need to scratch a minor itch.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I posted the exact opposite a while back, so I disagree. On that occasion we seemed to agree it isn't like new putters or drivers that do as you say.

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suspect that a new camera might rekindle some enthusiasm and result in more pictures, of which some may be uncommonly good.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I remember being very disappointed with the early results of my upgrade to a 5DMkii becuase I'd been shooting a lot of macro just before then and with a smaller sensor, items loomed in the frame. Once I had a full frame, the same objects felt quite lost. Took me a week or so to adjust both my expectations and technique.

10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

"Well, this Mashie has turned out to be pretty good after all ..."

Punch-Golfer+Burglar.jpg

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

True. Though I have found that the first couple of expeditions can be a bit disappointing, due to unfamiliarity of controls etc. Tends to get better (a bit!) after that.

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

With me having gone from a compact to a DSLR it was a wow moment when I first got my D3100 and I got quite a few good pictures but I think that was down to the fact I couldn't stop using it so I must have taken thousands of photos in the first few weeks and statistically the more you shoot the more likely you are to get a few good shots

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  13. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I still keep my Oly E5 and use it for macro in particular. That's in spite of having a FF Canon as well. Of course this might change if I ever get Canon's super duper macro lens but I rather doubt it.

14. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

My old D70 is still my favourite. Very old spec, should produce indiscernible prints, but no still beats more modern 4x pixels.

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I still take the occasional pic with my 4MP Canon G2 and they're still decent :) and I, recently, started shooting
    with B+W film and, wow, I never realised how much I like grain :D.

As for a new camera, I'm the exact same way as Ivor :)

Cheers,

Jack

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I still use my Minolta A200 bridge and 5D 6mpx DSLR despite having 2 Sony DSLRs, the newer of which an A57 has a ghastly viewfinder, first to offer me somewhere near what I paid for it can take it away..

17. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I still have a G3 and G6 but it is ages since I used either of them.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

When Pentax released the K3 a few years ago I was able to afford a new one straight away. I took out on day one and it was fab, by day 2 I realised I didn't really like it as it seemed far too much to learn. I'm no fool (well maybe:rolleyes:) and I could find my way around the camera but for some reason I just could not get that feeling of being one with the camera so I got rid of it.
    I did try one a couple of years later and found it easier to use, so maybe it was just a mental thing of it being too new.

19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It's not just new cameras it is also new lenses. When I got myself a very wide angle lens fairly recently I found a whole new vista of images opened up including one street that had been trying and failing to photograph properly for 20 years.

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, come on, Terry, dig 'em out and take a few snaps :D

Cheers,

Jack