1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bailey NW1 exhibition

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by RovingMike, Nov 28, 2016.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

There was a very big article in the Standard tonight purportedly about a new exhibition of Bailey's NW1 pictures and release of a limited edition book of them. Sadly the silly moo (appropriate east-end term) who wrote it got completely carried away by his anecdotes (mostly sexual) and forgot to actually get any info at all on what she was supposed to be writing about, so here it is:https://www.artrabbit.com/events/david-bailey-nw1

I'll definitely have to look in.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Has it been reprinted, RM? I remember the original pictures from the show - at the Kodak Gallery, I think, so that's a long time ago - and they were all too dark. Cheers, Oly

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the heads-up.

I'm a sucker for David Bailey's snaps, and going to his exhibitions takes me to places in London I wouldn't normally visit.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Hmmm. I've just seen the asking price of his book (i.e. the modern reprint and signed by Bailey), a mere £125 but this pales into insignificance compared to what's being asked for copies of the original printing.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

We went to the exhibition yesterday, and liked what we saw. Pity that there were only 14 prints, both on display, and included in the associated reprint.

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Saw when it open. Nice big B&W prints. Although the Camden lock has a lot of dark at bottom of image for me. :)

But I like Bailey's stuff.

One thing for me was finding the place. There was very small sticker saying NW1 next to to the buzzer. LOL

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Yes, we walked well past the entrance, until the sparse numbering on other buildings told us where it might be. Napoleon did a good thing for France when he decreed that every building had to show a number, and in a standardised format.