1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and totally overwhelmed by choice

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by DLT, Feb 21, 2013.

1. DLT

DLT Member

Ok so my brain is totally fried now....I think I've now decided to go try the Panasonic gx1 and the Samsung nx1000...

Has anyone got any big no no's on either of these before I go playing about with them...also it looks like lense choice is pretty good for both.

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Tough call, can't see any real deal beaker on eater. the optional view finder on the GX1 is nice but the bigger sensor in the Samsung should cope better.
    The only real reason would be Sony NEX cameras, but then again that is also down to preference.

I would go and handle both cameras and look throng all the functions critically. See what feels better and don't settle for "I'll get used to it" Take pictures with them and get to see them on a computer, play around with the options and try to think what is important to you and your style.

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Hi DLT - don't know about the Samsung but I do have a Panasonic GX1 with the compact 14-42 power zoom which I use in addition to a Nikon D700 full frame. The power zoom when the camera is switched off makes the GX1 small enough to fit in my jacket pocket.

Below is a GX1 picture - not art - but plenty of detail so you can see for yourself.

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm not sure that there are many non-Samsung lenses available from the independent lens makers, whereas not only is the GX1 highly rated, but there is a good selection of lenses and other accessories (such as flash guns, remote releases etc) available.
    One potential issue may be that Panasonic have a habit of "chipping" their batteries, so that if you wish to purchase an extra one or two, you either have to pay Panasonic's (exhorbitantly) high price, or shop very carefully (on line)

5. thornrider

In my experience battery life is very high - so not a worry

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Just a thought, can you get a similar adapter for the GX1 like you can get on the Olympus Pen cameras. to use all the old zuiko lenses?

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I don't know of any 3rd party lenses that fit the Samsung NX mount directly, but I believe there is an adapter to enable Pentax K-mount lenses to be used, since Samsung used to make DSLRs in collaboration with Pentax.

8. DLT

DLT Member

Hi everyone,

I went in a played with a couple of cameras and absolutely loved to Panasonic gx1.
    But he also threw a spanner in the works by telling me about the canon eos m. It's slightly out of my budget but he said it was really good quality and also I can get a mount which allows the full dslr lenses to fit the micro four thirds frame....just incase the hobby progresses and I wanted to upgrade the body to a full dslr.

I have heard some say that different brands on the same settings can be sharper finer details and others brands slightly softer appearances...has anyone heard this..I'm a big fan of sharpness and a Chrisp looking photo.

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It is all in the sensor and the lens, more in the lens actually as most sensors are realy good by now. Different lenses can give very different resoults even if they use the same settings on the same camera. The same lens can give different resoultd mounted on two different cameras but this will probably be less obvius.
    another very importand part in digital photografy is post prosess as most pictures need a bit of tweak to look there best.

10. DLT

DLT Member

Ok so not really an issue on brands then that's down to personal choice and preference.

Has anyone had any experience with the canon eos m?

I'm just about to give birth in the nxt few days hopefully so will be waiting probably a month or 2 to actually purchase a camera as I'm going to be pretty busy with 2 young children.

Is there any new cameras on the horizon that I might want to wait for that anyone can think of.

I must say I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice....nxt week I'm off to my first camera club meeting to ask lots of questions etc...let's hope I don't have the baby until after hehe.

Thanks again

D x

11. thornrider

Stick with the GX1 - the Canon reviewed luke warm - very slow focusing.

12. AlexMonro

You can also get adapters to enable most (D)SLR lenses to be fitted to micro 4/3 cameras such as the GX1, in addition to the m4/3 lenses from Panasonic, Olympus, and the third party lens makers Sigma and Tamron that can be fitted directly. I think the GX1 gives you a wider choice of lenses than the EOS M.

13. DLT

DLT Member

Well hello everyone.

Not sure if I should be starting a new thread but it is really the same topic. Rigt I went to my first camera club last night was so interesting.

I took my canon ixus 130 with some samples of what I've managed to achieve with it.

They kinda have said what you guys have said in the fact of I have a pretty decent compact already which is a fair point.

They suggested looking at the new canon 60D has anyone used this likes it and is there any in the same range that I should also look at?

Thanks again guys, I just don't want to pay out and then wish I'd gone for something else.

Also my dad came along to the meeting and he is due to retire and there was a camera for sale the canon Eos 20D with 18-55mm kit lense for £150 ono is that a good deal it looks like it or is. He wants something that he can learn with that's not going to break the bank.

14. thornrider

If you talk to enough people DLT you will eventually meet everyone who owns everything - and that doesn't refine your choice - it just adds confusion.

Then you will meet the people who know that everything is due to be replaced this year or next.

Then you will meet all the people who know someone who had "one of those" go wrong.

Then you will see something for £200 on eBay that looks "good enough for you."

In the final analysis, other than whether or not a particular brand and model feels good to you in the flesh, there aren't too many factors that make a significant difference to the pictures they take - just settle on - Compact - CSC- or DSLR - and buy one.

15. AlexMonro

I believe the 60D is quite a good DSLR - it's effectively the 3rd one up in Canon's current range, above the 1100D and 600D. However, suitability of a camera depends on some things that are very personal, such as the size of your hands and how well the camera fits them, so I'd strongly suggest you get to a camera shop where you can try out comparable models from all the manufacturers, such as the Nikon D5100, D5200 and D7000, the Pentax K30 and K5, and the Sony a57 and a65.

Make sure that your fingers can reach all the controls easily, that you like the look through the viewfinder (the Sonys have electronic viewfinders, some love them, some loathe them), and you find the menu system easy to navigate and intuitive to use.

16. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

before you decide think about 'image' quality as well (quite hard at 300 bucks, but think, you have a lot of time to invest in the hobby and it is quite possible to get a ways into it and then realise your efforts in the first years are very, shall we say. average, when you get more used to it all and look back at your files).

Pick up any magazine and look at, really look at, the adverts. Ignore they are all highly stage managed, but look how sharp and real (most) fashion ads and house and home shots are; you are generally transported right into the scene, food shots too in cookery mags. Especially see National Geographic full page spreads of exotic scenes.

Now look at people's phone shots (Facebook is prime example), holiday snaps, next door's baby shots taken in artificial light on a 100 quid compact. Look critically, not just on the camera/phone screen, but a 17" monitor or an A4 print. Zoom in on your PC.

Be aware that cinema films are shot with 100,000 pound glasses and there is a reason for that.

Nevertheless, a fairly recent second hand kit (or even guaranteed 'refurbished') from a trusted source/dealer/uncle could easily come into your budget and whilst it may not have every modern gadget on board, could give a pleasing compromise of quality/price.

In a nutshell, if you buy a ford fiesta and go racing, your technique needs to be superlative if you want to be in the results. Bridge and micro four thirds and APS sensor cameras CAN give results, especially if the picture content is ace, but they are not easy. Even 20 years ago, big film cameras on tripods slaughtered the impact of all bar a few 35mm film cameras in terms of quality, realism, drama, impact etc. The modern digi sensors follow the same paradigm. Little, light, small means cramped and requiring even better user expertise if you want that NG realism.

Spend as much on your lens as you do the camera body used to be the mantra; slightly less true now but generally a good generality. Digi cameras second hand maybe not a good idea but recent quality lenses second hand from reliable dealers are a fair bet, with a guarantee for some reasonable period. Of course, not all lenses are available second hand, get Amateur Photographer magazine or similar and scan the small ads - see what is available.

As in all things, you pretty much get what you pay for but by careful shopping, you can tilt the odds in your favour.

And good luck of course.