1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and totally overwhelmed by choice

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by DLT, Feb 21, 2013.

1. DLT

DLT Member

Hi,

I've been interested in photography for some time now and really have no where to start, I have a very basic canon camera. It's my 30th next month and my husband would like to buy me a camera, something that's between a big dslr and a compact. I have seen that iclc could be an option and a good starting block for me where I'm able to expand lenses etc. The type of photos I'm really interested in taking are of our marine tank so lots of colour moving fish and corals and also some pictures of our pets and children....

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of different cameras I can look at that suits our situation?

Regards

Danielle x

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Read like you are talking about what we call CSC, Compact System Cameras.

They come in three favours now CX, MFT (Micro Four Thirds) and APS.

CX is only Nikon. APS has quite few makers. MFT has Olympus and Panasonic.

Do you have a idea on budget?

Autofocus on CSC can be in certain condition weak compared to dSLR.

I would point out that dSLR have got abit lighter, still bulky.

Here is a useful tool to look at size.

This is just a example not suggesting the V2

http://camerasize.com/compare/#392,317

You then have the MFT

http://camerasize.com/compare/#347,317

Bit smaller but not alot. But lighter. :)

I go to shop if possible and feel and play with the different model to see you happy with a CSC or maybe a dSLR.

PS: Sorry forgot to say welcome. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. DLT

DLT Member

Thanks for your quick reply I want would say the budget is around the 300 mark.

I'm not totally against a bigger camera I just know if it's too bulky i won't take it out so much..and that's not the point.

Yes your right I meant the compact interchangeable lens cameras...the new breed I think.

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You can pick some CSC for that budget but they will probably be older model not current.

I left off one format which the Pentax Q which a small sensor CSC. :eek:

Do you want a CSC with eye level finder or just back screen?

The latter tends to be abit cheaper and slimmer/lighter as well.

I've seen a Nikon V1 which has eye level finder as well as backscreen for just over £250.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/129269/1/nikon-1-v1-review

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Welcome.
    Even at around "only" £300, there is a huge choice. Identify what features are must-haves (what settings do you hink you will adjust the most, eg ISO), narrow down your potential purchases and then make sure that you get a hands-on trial with each, before you buy.

Is an EVF "viewfinder" essential or can you live with just a rear LCD?

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Danielle, and welcome to the AP forums!

An EVF (Electronic ViewFinder - a viewfinder that uses a small LCD screen) is good to have - it can be easier to see in bright sunlight, holding the camera up to your face, rather than at arms length, makes it easier to keep it steady an avoid camera shake, which can give you blurred pictures.

The Panasonic G3 has an EVF and should be just about within your budget with the basic 14-42mm kit lens, and is a reasonably good performer.

If you can, I would suggest that you go to a camera shop where you can try out various models, see how comfortable they are to hold, and how easily you can reach the controls. You might also have a look at some of the entry level DSLRs - the Canon 1100D and Nikon D3100 should be close to your budget.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

You could have a look at the Canon eos 1100D and the D3100 from Nikon. Both are very capable but "small" DSLR's.
    If these are to big I think there are few interesting options out there something like the Samsung NX series, Pansonic GX series or Pentax. Some are with in your budget while others are not.

8. DLT

DLT Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your input I also want to gain knowledge about the basic things that I will need to use for that type of photgraphy so any videos or urls you guys can point me to that can help teach me the ways...as I could end up watching videos that aren't correct so teaching bad habits from the start which I don't want...or a book that I could read....

I'm going to take a look at all the models you have suggested and then get some hands on experience in some shops.....

Also I'm from maidstone and after looking on the net there don't seem to be any camera specific shops around....can anyone suggest any that I can travel to...

Thanks again guys much appreciate it xx

9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome. For a moment I thought the Hairy Cornflake had joined up. :)

10. DLT

DLT Member

Omg I just had to google hairy cornflake....damn I shoulda google my username before hand!! I can asure you I'm not him.. Lol

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes hands on is the way to go as it will eliminate many models and make others more intresting. Let us know when you got a short list, we van then give you our opinion on the pro's and con's.

12. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Too late now.;)

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

There are a number of good tutorial sites listed at the bottom of the "How To Post Images..." sticky post at the top of the forum.

14. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi Danielle, welcome to the forum. :)

15. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Welcome to the Forums and in Maidstone you're a (temporary?) victim of Jessops closure.

Canterbury Cameras (web site's a bit underwhelming - best to phone to check what they have in stock before travelling 01227 763905) are not far from Canterbury East station. If a trip to London is possible, London Camera Exchange ... oops, ... LCE (Strand) are just a few hundred yards down from Charing Cross.

I'd also endorse the camera suggestions made above and also suggest a look at the Olympus OM-D EM-5.

16. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

hello, and welcome to the forum.

17. DLT

DLT Member

Hello,

Right ive had a real think about what i would really like and i think the compact bridge cameras are more up my street as they are more portable and also i can expand lenses etc. Having had a look at them i do really like the nikon 1 range but would like to know if anyone has had some real hands on experience with it and there is j1 j2 and j3 also the v1 and v2 ranges, which is the better range for me...

Thanks again guys and gals i really appreciate this xxx

18. thornrider

Just before you go - there are a couple of confusions here :

1. Bridge camera lenses can't be expanded in that you cannot add more - the lens is fixed - but it can zoom

2. The Nikon 1 range is not a bridge camera - it is a compact system camera

Are you sure you are headed in the right direction ?

19. DLT

DLT Member

Hi thornrider,

I was typing while trying to calm my crying not so well little girl. Yes I ment the csc is where I'm heading towards. Sorry for confusing everyone...

20. thornrider

OK that's good - hope the crying is stopped - sounds like that multi-tasking women claim to be gifted with.