1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New A7r announced

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by SXH, Jul 16, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A couple of exta points...

It appears to be priced at $3,500 in the States and £3,500 here. Has the pound fallen that far?

According to the sonyalpharumours site, there will be another three cameras announced over the next couple of months, should you wish to take them without the usual pinch of salt...

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

US prices are usually without sales tax, European are usually with, so there is still a difference in price (cheaper in the US) but not as much as it appears.

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Sony certainly seem determined to maintain their lead in the FF mirrorless marketplace. Having just read the full spec I don't think it's overpriced, either (just bloody expensive).

One thing I can be sure of, however, is that wondrous machine that it may be, it would make no difference to my ability as a photographer.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Oh, you too? ;)

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

FF mirrorless is an area well beyond my needs, thank heaven.
    Even a top range Fuji APS offers me more than I can use.

But it is interesting that such thing are out there.
    Even if they are too big, heavy and expensive & offer qualities that I could never need.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... but it does come from Wex with a 4 year guarantee;)

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

So this means that every first-time buyer will now assume that anything with a lower specification is junk...and all the people who spent a fortune on Sony's latest model a few weeks ago will rush to part-exchange it?
    Probably yes to both.

I wonder how quickly a PC running picture editing software will take to open a 240 megapixel RAW file, or process changes to it?
    Perhaps they'll all have to upgrade their PCs too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No problem. Sony make them too. ;)

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

From all manufacturers here have always been very expensive top of the range cameras. We didn't all rush out to buy them and were happy with our cheaper models. This is no different.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Note to self: my use of irony is too subtle. Must try the Trump technique next time ('Fake news! What's a camera?')

12. Terrywoodenpic

That is a major good point about processing speed. I just moved from 16 to 26 megapixels and the difference is noticeable. Heaven help a 240 megapixel. what ever you have for a computer.
    I would not want to try a 16 image stitch at that resolution.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some of us can remember when 8K of RAM was bloody good and 64K was beyond the dreams of avarice. The technology moves on and soon enough no-one will buy a computer for graphics with less than a Petabyte of RAM. :cool:

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, back at the 7R IV, there's full review on the *ph*t*z*n* site, with 61MP samples.

The detail is quite impressive! Look at the hair/freckles on the ginger haired young lady. Good grief, the first picture of the guy with the ginger beard - you can count the tiny hairs in his nose! Celebrities with dodgy skin are going to avoid snappers who use this machine!

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Jeez! I see what you mean. Mind you, the cost of lenses good enough to deliver that level of detail will be something of an eye opener.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Fuji lenses are good enough for 100 megapixel. The Sony only needs to resolve 61

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Right, so they'll only cost an arm and half a leg...